Monday, March 21, 2022

Q Fried Kway Teow @ Super 28 Coffee Shop in Toa Payoh [Singapore]

I am no stranger to Super 28 Coffee Shop in Toa Payoh as it was where I finally got to rekindle the memory of super good curry puffs that I had when I was a kid. 

On the few occasions I was there; I noticed a stall with a steady stream of customers and many of them were ordering a local favorite that I personally like a lot. Char kway teow; and it's time for me to see if it would indeed be worth the hype!  

Pager beeped; time to collect my food. Aside from char kway teow, the stall also served carrot cake, oyster omelette, prawn omelette, hokkien mee and fried oyster; quite a typical menu for such stalls. 

My plate char kway teow; not special order like extra black sauce, extra egg although I did request for additional pork lards as I noted from other customers' char kway teow that the pork lards were big! 

Regretted not getting more; if I was at my regular stall at Ayer Rajah hawker centre, I would have maybe tripled the amount of pork lard gracing my plate of char kway teow. 

At S$4.50, this didn't come cheap. However, my mom raised an important point; there were five cockles and they weren't the teeny weeny type. Problem is; I don't take cockles! 

So how did the char kway fare in the taste test? Frankly, average in my opinion, mainly because it didn't exhibit a strong aura of wok hei in the flavor, and I could definitely do with a bit more sweetness. To me, it's okay for have it to satisfy a craving, but not when you are looking for the best char kway teow. 

My official first meal at 2.30pm; it's a given my famished stomach would want to gobble up everything, except for the cockles which went into my mom's tummy. 

=====

Address 
184 Toa Payoh Central, 
Super 28 Coffee Shop, 
Singapore 310184

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Char Kway Teow - S$4.50

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous3:49 AM

    Been there, tried twice. A little expensive, serving is little, very oily. Be aware that it get easily thirsty after consumed. Giving a 3.5/10.

    ReplyDelete