Sunday, March 06, 2022

Lunar New Year 2022

I am aware the festivities surrounding the lunar new year of the tiger zodiac was long over but it's only been slightly more than a month and since our celebration is for a consecutive 15 days, I am actually not that far off! 

Preparation takes place way before the start of the lunar new year and for many families, especially those with children who are married, the important reunion dinner would be held usually the weekend before. 

Given the pandemic restrictions, it's hard to get the entire family to dine outside when we have a total of nine persons! Hence, we had to ask our elder sister to open up her house so that her family of four can accommodate five unique visitors! 

It's been a while since we last had steamboat for reunion dinner but it's the easiest to manage inhouse, given the variety, ease of cleaning and that it's quite foolproof; technically no need any cooking experience. 

In the past, my mom would have to spend hours whipping up dishes and it can be extremely tiring when you are still working in the morning. Therefore, I have been insisting in having reunion dinners at restaurants for at least about ten years. 

Although there's no air-conditioning at the balcony, we were blessed with a rainy weather which brought with it a lower temperature and a nice, cool breeze; conditions super suitable for steamboat! 

Loving the white corn! When it comes to steamboat, I only need a few ingredients; meat balls, sotong balls, corns, luncheon meat and prawns. The rest are not as important, unless I am at a steamboat restaurant where I could concoct my own sauce.  

Mom couldn't resist, and made pen cai, which "literally means “basin vegetables” (盆菜) as it was traditionally served to the Emperor in wooden washbasins during the Song Dynasty (adapted to claypot or casserole in modern times)" according to here

To me, it's a pot of gravy goodness consisting mainly of roast meat, abalones, scallops, fish maws, mushrooms, razor clams, radish and cabbage. Gravy was key to its deliciousness and you can get the canned ones (usually about S$100 - S$200, depending on ingredients) from shops like Eu Yan Sang. 

Playing jenga with the kids! Yes, we know this is the uno edition but I seriously don't remember the rules. So long the whole family can have a fun time, why bother with the details?

And it was fun, and thrilling! 

Kids have grown and is the thigh comparison between Jovyn and myself. Even though she has yet to surpass me in height, it's another story with her weight.

Jerald is taller, and much heavier.
In a fight, I would likely lose. :(

Some people have asked if my younger sister and I are twins. I don't find that true until we started playing with the filters on snapchat; turned out we do look quite alike, but I think I am more beautiful! Hahaha.

With the kids, it's a must to have lo-hei for reunion! 

Known also as yusheng, we always reason it as a "healthy" dessert given the amount of shredded vegetables, although my understanding is that the calorie-count is on average about 561 for one serving.

For our family, it's usually higher as the kids love the crispy pillows and when people would normally just go for one pack; our family's "recommended" serving is three.

I think this look quite suits me hor. 

Eat again? Well, this was the reunion dinner on the actual day; i.e. eve of lunar new year. As my elder sister would have to celebrate with her in-laws, it's my duty as the only son to accompany my parents for this important occasion. 

Location: Abang Recipes at Sembawang Shopping Centre; salted egg prawns were good and for the curry fish head, it's average and I have had better ones elsewhere. My usual spot for reunion dinner was JJ Thai Cuisine but it's not open for business for eve of lunar new year this time round! 

Change of clothes because it's finally the lunar new year! 

Customary of Chinese customs, I had to pay a visit to my parents' place! And as expected, my mom would prepare delicious cheng tng with loads of dried longans, lotus seeds, almonds and hardboiled eggs! 

A selfie; I must make a mental note not to wear shirts in the future as my parents' flat is not fully air-conditioned and it can be terribly warm! And I can't control my sweat from wetting the shirt! 

Photo taking is a must to lock down the memories! 

Having fun with the phone app! The year of the tiger was said to be extremely bad for the those born in the year of monkeys. And given the numerous changes in my workplace this year, I sure hope I am able to survive the year and emerge stronger. 

Another family custom for first day of lunar new year; hong bao distribution time! As the kids grow, it's really just a routine and given her low standard of Mandarin, I am guessing Jovyn doesn't know half of what she was sprouting out of her mouth! 

Gambling time; lost over S$30. 
Luck isn't on the monkey's side in the year of the tiger! 

End to first day of the tiger year.

Day two - went over to my uncle's place and indulged in prosperity fish. The pandemic restrictions made it hard for us to visit other relatives and the current guideline only allows up to 2 unique visits a day! 

Second visit; to my sister's place again! 

Temple visitation to Fook Tet Soo Hakka Temple; first is to accompany my mom even though the primary reason is that the monkey zodiac has a direct clash with this particular Chinese god in the year of the tiger and for the sake of being blessed for a smoother year, a prayer is necessary. Superstition it sure is but why not since it would give me a peaceful mind?

Day 12 of the lunar year - first time ever, I had to push a trolley of food from my parents' place to my house, like an auntie coming home from the wet market! 

Reason; my mom cooked a feast for my friends who came over! Original plan was for them to pay a lunar new year visit to my parents but my mom cleanly forgot that they would be going to her place and had arranged to go out with her friends. *flabbergasted* whatever the case, my friends totally enjoyed her food! 

Another lohei but this time on day 14 of the lunar new year, and at my parents' apartment. This time round, the kids didn't join as they would be staying over at their paternal grandparent's place.

Without the kids, we managed to cut down the crispy pillows! 

Lohei was purchased from Umi Sushi at Northpoint and it was surprisingly good; vegetables were extremely fresh and the condiments given contributed to a well-rounded flavor that all of us enjoyed. p.s. don't you just love it when operators append the auspicious sayings below the ingredients? 

With my brother in law around, a short gambling session is a must! 

Thankfully, my luck wasn't as bad as day one. I got blackjack a few times and earned a profit of about S$10 at the end of the session. Was it due to my prayers for taisui? Maybe. Let's all hope for a great tiger year! Huat ah! 

No comments:

Post a Comment