Friday, March 18, 2022

Famous Durian at 848 @ Yishun [Singapore]

Although 
Durian Times has recently moved to a location super close to where I stay, I was super disappointed with the quality I had a few months ago. And with the season still being relatively weak at the moment, my regular fruit stall at Chong Pang has yet to bring in durians.

But with a name like "famous durian", I was tempted. Fame can go both ways even though the negative end has always been called infamous. But, a friend had recommended this stall before and on the few occasions I wanted to try their durians, they were sold out.

This time, I messaged via WhatsApp and enquired on the durians they had for the day. Golden phoenix was available and I immediate made a reservation for two for self-collection, just to try them out with my parents, who love durians as much as I do! 

Golden phoenix (known as Jin Feng) are not known to be big durian species, and the two I reserved weighed just about 2.6 kilograms at S$21 a kilogram. For the cat mountain king species, each fruit can already weigh that much! 

As my intention was to take the feeder bus to my parents' place, it's a need to dehusk the durians as public transportation disallows durians to be taken onboard. Styrofoam boxes that are cling wrapped are the operandi modus but at Famous Durian, the dehusked durians were packed in plastic containers and then hot-sealed; absolutely no smell was leaked! 

My bag consisting of three boxes, which was kind of an overkill for two small durians. I also felt kind of guilty to have contributed to unnecessary one-time plastic use. :( shall make a mental note to bring along my own containers next time.

Can't wait to tear open and dig in! I thought I would need a knife or scissor to tear open the plastic wrap cleanly; turned out it's easily peeled off from the edges. 

Mmmmmmmmmmmm..... craving satisfied! The durian meat was good, bitter with a creamy sweetness , totally triggered the happy hormones! Texture for two of them had hard corners but to me, that's an anomaly I can still accept, especially when the season is still early now in March.

Opening the second box.

I am aware this is likely some kind of moisture / odor absorber but at first look, it does bear some resemblance to a sanitary pad! 

Two relatively small durians, 2.6 kilograms in total, and we counted a staggering 40 small seeds! Can't wait to buy from Famous Durian soon; according to the friendly staff, the season shall peak in May and likely end in August. I shall exercise more, so that I can take in the upcoming calories! 

=====

Address
Block 848, Yishun Street 81,
#01-150, Singapore 760848

Facebook Page

WhatsApp Contact
Anthony - 98987238

No comments:

Post a Comment