Saturday, March 26, 2022

Tai Ho Soon Putian Kitchen @ Junction 8's Food Junction [Singapore]

I wasn't that pleased when my sister suggested lunch with my parents at Junction 8 earlier this afternoon as I didn't think there's anything that would interest me to review. But things always happen for a reason, for better or for worse. 

Food Junction was eventually chosen and given my mom's love for heng hwa cuisine; it was decided that we would order the happy family set meal from putian kitchen, which cost only S$40 for just five dishes. 

Tai Ho Soon is the actual stall's name and its origin was a restaurant along Kampong Bahru road that had since branched out to a few food courts around Singapore. 

Collection of our food once the buzzer started ringing! The five dishes were heng hwa fried bee hoon,  cabbage beancurd seafood soup, heng hwa red rice wine claypot chicken, heng hwa sweet lychee pork and and prawn omelette egg.

Heng Hwa Fried Bee Hoon - I have been eating bee hoon all my life and the heng hwa style was the one that surprised me the most as I wouldn't have expected to fall in love with such dry noodles! 

Almost comparable to the one from Michelin Putien; this was as healthy tasting with flavors coming from the clams, the crunchy peanuts, the prawns, the vegetables etc. Those who enjoy strong flavors, however, might find this a bit bland. 

Cabbage Beancurd Seafood Soup - light, milky outlook with a taste that didn't appeal to me and lacked the punch to wow us. It didn't escape me that we left half about half the soup untouched. 

Heng Hwa Red Rice Wine Claypot Chicken - dishes made with fermented red rice wine have a signature taste that not all enjoy. This was nice with the chicken retaining much juiciness although my elder sister preferred the broth to be of a thicker, richer consistency; I think it's better to rely on her judgment as she ate quite a lot post pregnancy.  

Heng Hwa Sweet Lychee Pork
- loving the texture of this heng hwa style gu lu rou; batter wasn't overly floury, with a comfortable sweetness that lingers with a subtle fruity sweetness. Shall remember to order this the next time!

Prawn Omelette Egg - although this was a common dish found in many Asian cuisines, this won me over with its delicious fluffiness that could only come about due to excessive oil. 

p.s. quite a number of decently-sized prawns found within. Frankly, the happy family set would be good enough for about 4-5 persons although if I could, I wish there are options to change the cabbage beancurd seafood soup to something else.  

There was this cold appetizer that I forgot and only got to take the photograph towards the end. It's pickled vegetables but were mainly just extremes of saltiness and sourness!

=====

Address

9 Bishan Place, #04-01 to #04-02E,
Singapore 579837

Pricing
Happy Family Set - S$40

No comments:

Post a Comment