Saturday, December 11, 2021

Miznon Israeli Restaurant along Stanley Street (Near Amoy Hawker Centre) [Singapore]

Singapore's central business district isn't a place I would usually visit on a weekday since my workplace isn't in the area but when a friend invited me to check out an Israeli restaurant; I jumped at the opportunity to try something new! 

Name: Miznon. Founded in Tel Aviv, Israel by Chef Eyal Shani, a judge of MasterChef Israel, the restaurant was said to serve a modern take of Israeli street food. I absolutely can't wait to find out what's in store for my taste buds.

Alfresco seating; pretty popular in the central business district, especially after sundown when people would congregate to chill over dinner and drinks. 

Scan QR for the menu; I was waiting for my friend and looking through to see what might interest me. It's a rather simple menu with just pita, out of the pita and sweet (referring to desserts). Guess pita is their main selling point.

Friend finally arrived! He wasn't late; just that I am quite early since I could knock off from work at 5.30 pm on Fridays. Anyway,  order was made with a friendly chap and before long, plates and cutleries were placed on our table, together with something we didn't order.

According to my friend, it's their complimentary appetizer consisting of pita flatbread, with grilled green chili and a small bowl of dip. You can actually request for top-ups but I am mindful of my starch intake as my main consisted of pita too. 

My memory of pita bread was much flatter, and thinner and this Israeli version was fluffier, almost like a chewy focaccia but softer in texture. And please don't ignore the dip! Known as tahini, it tasted like peanut butter mixed with mayo. And did I also catch a whiff of sesame aroma? 

Combine the pita with green chilli and tahini for the absolute hunger remover! p.s. green chilli was a tad spicy but for those comfortable with chilli, it's quite shiok. 

Here are our mains! Honestly, I was expecting something more visually impactful as they didn't cost cheap at S$21.00 each and the thing that came to mind was "stuffed bread".

My friend had fish and chips pita - he actually wanted the adon yam (charred calamari) but it was sold out once again! So if you are keen to try adon yam, maybe can consider pre-ordering when you make a reservation at Miznon.

Pita Moussaka - I didn't know what to order but this was supposedly popular and was highlighted in bold red font with the word 'special' on the menu. Description of menu was "beef and lamb ragout and eggplant melting into each other, tahini, pickles, chilli and parsley"

To put it simply, the pita became a pocket with all the ingredients stuffed inside. Best of all, it wasn't hollow with a generous amount of "liao" inside the flatbread. Eating it was easier than the bagel I had at Two Men Bagel House.

It was delicious; the nutty tahini, "a Middle Eastern condiment made from toasted ground hulled sesame", was the flavor enhancer for the rest of the ingredients, including the savory meat and the sweet, sour, vinegarish pickles! Totally love the crunch from the pickles!  

=====

Would I be back? Absolutely as I was keen to try other items on their menu, including the adon yam that eluded my friend and maybe their desserts too! 

Address
6 Stanley St, #01-01, 
Singapore 068725

Map
As above.

Website 

Menu 
As above.

Pricing
Pita Moussaka - S$21.00
(Subject to GST and Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment