Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Dim Sum @ Canton Paradise (樂天小香港) outside Bishan MRT Station [Singapore] #dimsum

The Paradise Group is well known among the Chinese population in Singapore, with 12 brands under their corporate umbrella, starting with Seafood Paradise that popped out more than 10 years ago in an industrial area at Kovan. 

Canton Paradise used to have a branch in Yishun at Northpoint City Mall and we frequented enough to even have a membership! Nowadays, it's rare for us to visit and the reason why we went to its Bishan branch was because there's a S$40 member voucher (with minimum spend of S$80)! 

I chose to go on the last day of redemption and as expected, the restaurant was at full capacity. Reservation was full and the most I could do was to collect a queue ticket and wait for our turn.

Our queue was finally called more than an hour later! We sort of expected it and had proceeded to the food court at Junction 8 to grab some snacks and drinks. It was almost 8.00 pm and there were still 26 groups in the queue for tables that can accommodate 3-5 persons! 

For efficiency, the maitre d' had provided us with the order list and once our queue number was called, the filled up order list would be passed for immediate processing.

Going up to the second level of the branch! 

Within 15 minutes, our table was already half filled with the dim sum! More to come but well, let's kick start with the review of the food we had for my family of five persons.

Prawn Wanton Noodle - necessary to have some starch as my parents are not into starch-restricted diet like my sisters and I. For me, I am not that strict though and took a small serving for the sake of trying. 

I actually enjoyed the rubber band noodle; prawn broth was comfortable, not extremely seafood sweet although you can still taste that nice, prawn flavor. Sadly, the prawn wanton didn't wow us like the ones from their sister restaurant; le shrimp ramen. 

Baked BBQ Pork Pastry
- Flaky pastry skin that wasn't overly thick with savory gooey char siew that made biting into one so satisfying! Or maybe because I was quite hungry.

Steamed BBQ Pork Bun - I presume they use the same char siew filling although this tasted sweeter. Texture of bun was softer and unfortunately, had that irritating ability to stick in between my teeth! 

Crispy BBQ Pork Bun - I must not be thinking straight; another BBQ pork dim sum!? However, this version is the most recommended and to me, only the ones from Tim Ho Wan are better.

While char siew was again the same as the aforementioned two dim sum earlier, what I loved most was the crunchier top shell of this bun, which I always feel was a smoother version of the polo bun top. 

Prawn Ha Kao - this classic dim sum is often on the menu, together with siew mai. It didn't disappoint with pieces of fresh prawns held together by a pork lard based paste, but didn't wow. 

Wanton Chilli Oil
- I first had this at crystal jade a long time ago and super loved the combination of vinegar and chilli with plump dumplings! The ones at Canton Paradise had that mala, numbing sensation although it wasn't heavy with vinegar. Still good for me; my family thought it wasn't authentic enough. 

Prawn Mango Fritter - crispy outer layer that didn't feel heavy with light cream in the inside. Only issue, the amount of prawns within was pathetic! Enjoyable, nonetheless.

Prawn Chee Cheong Fun and BBQ Pork Chee Cheong Fun - back when Canton Paradise was in Yishun, Alex always go for the chee cheong fun so it's a no brainer I would order this time.

Silky smooth skin, albeit a bit thick, sauce was palatable enough; the things that needed improvement were surprisingly the fillings. Both the prawns and BBQ pork were dry and standard was far from the ones we used to have in Yishun.

=====

I still can't imagine why I would miss out the siew mai. What the case, the meal was acceptable although there were some disappointments; i.e. chee cheong fun. Company was great as we managed to dine out as one family; pity the current limit doesn't allow us to have my brother in law, niece and nephew to join us.

Address
9 Bishan Place,
Junction 8, #01-51, 
Singapore 579837

Website

Pricing
Prawn Wanton Noodle - S$10.80
Baked BBQ Pork Pastry - S$6.80 
Steamed BBQ Pork Bun - S$5.80
Crispy BBQ Pork Bun - S$6.80
Prawn Ha Kao - S$6.70
Wanton Chilli Oil - S$7.00
Prawn Mango Fritter - S$7.50
Prawn Chee Cheong Fun - S$7.20
BBQ Pork Chee Cheong Fun - S$6.50
Tea - S$2.00 per person
(Subject to Service Charge and GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment