Thursday, December 30, 2021

Solarium - Only for Guests Aged 16 and Above @ Royal Caribbean Quantum of the Seas

To be honest, I thought the area beyond the above doors on deck 15 of  
Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas was restricted and didn't take a closer look until my travel mate commented that it's an area only accessible for guests 16 years and above!

Of course I had to step forward for a closer look even though the age restriction wasn't that much of a draw for me, given that there weren't that many kids onboard the ship for our cruise, and it wasn't at 100% capacity due to safe management measures. 

With sloping glass panels and a fantastic location at the front of the ship, I was in awe of the scene in front of me; like a relaxing green and blue oasis in a greenhouse.

The bubbly hot tubs were my favorite although they were less desirable on a hot day. I would recommend coming at night when the whirlpools (as they are named) work their way in relaxing your muscles, and mind. 

Prefer the shiokness of the cold on your skin? You can soak yourselves in the swimming pools. I hesitate to call them swimming pools as they were so tiny! Put it this way, I will laugh, hilariously, if someone attempts to swim competitively in the pools at Solarium.

Above two photographs would give you a perspective on the dimensions, which were three cascading pools right in the middle of the Solarium and in front of the Sunshine Bar.

Those with mobility issues and are interested to take a dip in the cool water would be pleased to know that there's
a motorized chair to bring them into the pool!  

A big headed sculpture known as "Anna B's World II" by Spanish artist, Jaume Plensa

There were a ton of sun loungers in the Solarium but Asians generally enjoy sun-tanning a lot lesser than Caucasians; hence, the ones with canopy were way higher in demand! Solarium is air-conditioned but the greenhouse effect meant it could still get pretty warm.

I would suggest getting a drink, maybe a cocktail from the Sunshine Bar. In my next cruise on Quantum of the Seas, I sure hope they could extend the operating hours of their bars. Sunshine Bar closed at the ungodly timing of 6pm! 

Looking down from at the front of the Solarium. I initially thought it's a helipad and was curious why it didn't have the iconic "H" symbol. Instead, there's a smiley face with the words, "winch only". A search on the web revealed that the helicopters nowadays are too big and the safer way is for the evacuees to be winched (pulled up) into a hovering helicopter instead. 

At each side of the Solarium, there was a door and not seeing a "no-entry" or "restricted" sign means I am free to check them out! Turned out there was a balcony / lookout point beyond the door.

From the balconies, you can also feel the full extent of the ship's length and if you are lucky, the north star 360-degree observation capsule, which rises 100 meters above sea level. 

Anyone knows what this is for? p.s. privacy might be an issue if you are in staterooms with balcony near the solarium. Well, just remember to wear something.

Don't think many people were aware of the balconies. 
Or people just didn't bother since there wasn't any shelter.

There was a bistro within the Solarium but it seemed closed with drawn curtains. I didn't bother asking as I thought it's more a specialty restaurant, until I just did a search and food seemed to be complimentary. I shall check it out again in February! 

=====

No comments:

Post a Comment