Thursday, December 09, 2021

Magic of Zlwin @ Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas (Cruise to Nowhere)

Despite my age, I love magic shows and when my travel companion for the Royal Caribbean's cruise made a reservation for the Magic of Zlwin; I was secretly ecstatic! Anyway, I think my friend knows I am quite a child at heart. 

The show was scheduled to take place at the Royal Theatre; we were familiar with the place as we attended the Sequins & Feathers show just a day earlier on the first night of our cruise

I did try my best to take photographs but when it comes to magic shows; a higher concentration is needed to see, regardless of how difficult it would be, if I could spot the 'mechanics' of the illusions.

Tried as I could but Mr Zlwin Chew is a professional and claims the title of mentalist, illusionist, in addition to a magician. For normal human beings, I think it's easier for us to take a step back and enjoy the show. 

Just a note in case you are hoping to catch him in action on Royal Caribbean's Quantum of the Seas; he is no longer performing for the ship. According to his instagram post dated 16 September 2021, the baton was passed to a fellow magician, Mr John Taylor

When it comes to magic show, involving the audience is crucial to get everyone's buy in that magic is 'real' and this is usually the segment I like the most. 

The specifics were lost on me; I think it had something to do with a lady in the audience mentally choosing a card from a deck, hiding it and then 'throwing' air to Zlwin, as if passing him her thoughts of the card that was chosen.

No surprise; he got it right! 

This was interesting; the appearance of wine bottles that materialized from god knows where! There was just a paper bag on a stationary table with four legs. I am literally scratching my head on this one.

A traditional magic trick - the chain saw.

The close up magic that gained popularity ever since video recording / streaming became more mainstream. Is there a possibility that it has been recorded beforehand? Well, the live versus recorded actions would have to be impeccably timed.

A box with movable parts - once again, this left me befuddled. The box wasn't deep and unless the beautiful lady assistant is a contortionist, my puny brain just couldn't fathom how her 'parts' can just disappear! 

Look at how happy Zlwin was! I find it extremely endearing when a performer exhibits such joy; it was the same feeling I had towards Violinist Nadiia Voronkova.

Last segment of the 45-minute show. 

Another classic; the vanishing act whereby the original person in the box escaped and switched with the magician! Overall, it was a delightful performance and I can't wait to catch the show by Mr John Taylor in my upcoming cruise in February 2022! 

=====

2 comments:

  1. Hello Cavin Teo. This was such a delight to read. Thank you for writing about this. I am back in the Quantum. If you are coming to cruise, let me know and I would like to meet you. Drop me a DM on my IG @ZlwinChew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zlwin! Sorry for the late response as I don't check blog comments often. I was actually back at Quantum a month ago and had the opportunity to catch your fantastic show again with a friend. Great show, as always!

      Delete