Friday, February 05, 2021

June Bakery - Epic Yam Tart with Ginkgo Nuts at Only S$1.20 Each @ The Plaza [Beach Road, Singapore]

Right before circuit breaker started in April 2020, I remember there was a lot of sharing on Facebook of a hidden food gem selling epic orh nee tarts near
Haji Lane, in a building (The Plaza) not known to many. 

I walked over after a late breakfast / early lunch at Eat 3 Bowls and although it was just a little past noon; the tarts were already sold out! Never one to give up when it comes to food; I tried again two weeks later on a Saturday and lo and behold, it's closed on weekends! 

So what did I do? I planned a staycation at Pan Pacific Serviced Suites, which is just right next to The Plaza! Kidding; it's really coincidence rather than intentional. Whatever the case, there were plenty of tarts available for me to choose from when I was there at 8.00 am. 

Honestly, I regretted not buying more as it's hard to find me at this part of Singapore so early in the morning, on a weekday. Furthermore, the friendly owners (uncle and auntie) had notified me that they are usually sold-out by 10-11 am, sometimes earlier. 

Got the above (egg tart, cheese tart and yam tart) even though they have two other types of tarts that I didn't get since I am, in reality, not so much a tart lover and there's no way I can ingest so many in one day! Okay, technically I can but it would have a drastic effect on my weight and waistline! 

Yam Tart
- the literal jewel of June Bakery. Yam, or orh nee, is considered to be something that the elder generation prefers. Even for me, I only fell in love with Yam, or more specifically, yam as a dessert when I was in my 20s. 

Took a bite off the pastry; thin, light and broke easily and totally contrasted with the smooth and soft yam paste which tasted just right, not overly sweet and most importantly, not cloying! The ginkgo nuts were nice additions; aside from the health benefits, their slightly bitter taste played an important role to balance out the sweetness of the yam paste. 

Cheese Tart - sorry, I forgot to take an individual picture for the cheese tart (right). It's delish by the way with a generous amount of cream cheese filling. As some of you are aware, cheese tarts were all the craze a year or two ago but I guarantee you wouldn't find a decent with a pricing like June Bakery; it's only S$1.20! Disclaimer; I am not a huge fan of cheese. 

Egg Tart - Unlike cheese, I do enjoy egg tarts and this just wasn't exceptional enough compared to Tong Heng or Tai Cheong. Furthermore, it has this excessive eggy flavour that I don't enjoy in egg tarts, despite my love for eggs in general. 

=====

Address
7500A Beach Rd, 
#B1-321, The Plaza,
Singapore 199591

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
7.00 am to 2.30 pm or while stocks last
(Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays)

Pricing
Cheese Tart - S$1.20
Egg Tart - S$1.20
Yam Tart - S$1.20

No comments:

Post a Comment