Sunday, February 28, 2021

The First Day of the Lunar New Year - Year of the Ox under the Pandemic

You have heard it many times over the past one year; these are unprecedented times and with the all the restrictions put in place by the government, the lunar new year, counted as the most important festival for the Chinese, was expected to be like never before. 

Thankfully, I am still able to visit my parents on the first day! And in my hands were red packets (or in this case, gold packets) for them; it's an annual custom ever since I started working and just a small gesture. Filial piety can be better reflected than just giving red packet; dine with them often, visit them often and go out with them often would make them way happier. 

After wishing my parents happy new year, the immediate thing was to make a beeline for the kitchen where a pot of delicacies await me. This is something my mom would make only on the first day of lunar new year! 

It tastes like cheng tng and I could easily down two to three bowls in one sitting; by the way, having the hardboiled egg is essential. Now that my mom is older, I should really sit down and ask her to teach me how to make it! Heard it's quite a lot of work though...

Taking a selfie with my new shirt and jeans! 

Here's my parents waiting for the family "ceremony" to begin. First mooted by my elder sister to educate the kids on our Chinese tradition when it comes to auspicious greetings during the lunar new year, it has been ongoing for around 4-5 years now. To think that we were not that traditional when we were kids.

My generation shall start first; it's somewhat like the tea ceremony during weddings. 

And the grandparents with the grandchildren. One year ago, Jerald was still shorter than me and within a year, he has shot past me in height! And Jovyn too, although hers is more the waistline than the height. To be fair, I lost about 8 kilograms over the past year.

Kids' turn with their parents! 

As someone who is not married, I would usually get red packets from those who are married. However, I am trying my best to reject red packets as I am already over 40 years old and it can be quite embarrassing accepting it from someone who is younger than me.

Always appreciate the red packet by my elder sister as she would take the trouble to pen down something at the back! And she has such nice handwriting as compared to me.

Given the restrictions laid down by the government, it's the first time I didn't have a hectic day on the first day of the lunar new year. In the past, I would be visiting at least six households! Whatever the case, let's end the post on a happy note; a video of Jovyn rapidly spewing out the auspicious greetings in order to secure the red packet from me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment