Sunday, February 14, 2021

Grilled Skewers from Ma Ma Spin Pot @ 785e Woodlands Rise [Singapore]

It's a place I wouldn't have checked out if not for the recommendation coming from a cousin, especially when reviews on Google 
for Ma Ma Spin Pot was at a dismal 2.3; mainly due to poor customer service.

I braced myself and could only count my lucky stars that customer service that day wasn't that bad; given that I knocked off a cup of sugared beverage and the lady on duty was kind enough to move us to another table. My apology was brushed away with the touching statement: "we all have a day when we are careless".  

Even though hotpot was their main business, my cousin's singular endorsement was for the Chinese-style grilled skewers and those were exactly what we targeted; ordering almost 70% of their entire list of 29 items!  

Signature Fried Prawns in Fragrant Spicy Sauce -  the only item not on the grilled list and we absolutely didn't regret this impulsive order, thanks to the Great Kon, as the fresh prawns were blessed with plump, juicy meat enhanced with the flavour from the spices; despite their presentation, they were not very spicy.

Frankly, while I can recognize some of their grilled items, meat can be a bit tricky when it comes to differentiating between beef and mutton. Meat wise, generally, no complaints; the use of fragrant herbs and spices were not excessive yet not light enough to make the food too bland. 

BBQ mantou was surprisingly not bad; can imagine dipping this in chilli crab sauce for that double oomph! Speaking of which, I think this could be packaged into a ready-to-eat pack, just like the butter toasts found in Bangkok! 

Grilled scallops were delicious and I might have ordered more if not for the high price tag of S$3.00 apiece. Sotong and prawns on skewers were pretty good too; the BBQ white belly fish tasted a bit like the satay fish we used to buy from Malaysia.

My cousin was totally enamored with the grilled brinjal and I can understand why after taking a bite; the mushiness merged with the delicious sauce, the sprinkling of aromatic sesame seeds, refreshing spring onions and scallions! Only problem; eat it when it's hot as the taste might be a bit off after it turned cold.

How can grilled cabbage taste so nice?! They were not dried at all, bursting with juicy flavour when I took in the whole leaf! Now, could I replicate the same, using the stove instead? 

Not everything paints a rosy picture; the bbq steamed bread slice wasn't as unforgettable as the one from BBQ Box (串烧工坊) but the one thing I will never order again would be the BBQ corn! Almost tasteless without the sprinklers of salt; definitely would benefit from some salted butter! 

=====

Although both the Great Kon and I did enjoy the meal, what caught me by surprise was the price on the receipt; costing more than S$70.00 in a neighbourhood eatery. Things didn't seem that expensive at BBQ Box (串烧工坊); to be fair, I was comparing to prices almost 6 years ago! 

Address
785e Woodlands Rise, 
Singapore 735785

Map 
As above.

Menu (Grilled Items and Drinks)
As above.

Pricing
Too lazy to type out; kindly refer to above.
Subject to GST.

No comments:

Post a Comment