Friday, February 12, 2021

Thailand Street Food Restaurant @ Junction Nine in Yishun [Singapore] #thaicuisine

Happy Lunar New Year! 

Like many Chinese families, we often have reunion dinners (eve of lunar new years) at home and it's often steamboat (known more popularly as hotpot nowadays). To save the trouble of cleaning up, my family has been eating out for the past few years when it comes to reunion dinner. 

This year's reunion dinner for the whole family was a done-deal last weekend but I would still make it a point to have one on the actual day with my parents; and this time, which was earlier today, we decided to choose Thailand Street Food Restaurant @ Junction Nine, which came with good reviews from my sister and cousin! 

Nothing fanciful about the décor within, which wasn't a problem for me since I am way more picky over what goes into my mouth and down my stomach. It's nice to hear catchy Thai songs being played in the eatery though. Without further ado, let's go on to the food.

Mango Salad - sour and spicy and not really my cup of tea; my only revelation for this, coming from person with unrefined taste buds, is that anything sprinkled with peanut bits actually enhanced the flavour of everything! 

Thai Grilled Pork Skewers - I have real high expectations for this and except for those sold in pasar malams, the ones I tried from Thai food stalls and restaurants hardly made the cut. Sadly, it's the same case here;meat was tough like jerky, not as juicy and with the noticeable taste of frozen meat. 

Thai Omelette (Prawn) - the kind I enjoyed very much; airy, fluffy with a light crisp on the outside; perfect with plain Jasmine rice and Thai chilli! You can also choose other meat like chicken / pork. 

Pineapple Fried Rice - a bit too bland for my liking although still decent in flavour thanks to the raisins, cashew nuts and green chilli; can't really taste the pineapple until you literally bit into one! 

Steamed Sea Bass (Chilli Lime)
- a needed dish whenever we patronize a Thai eatery and I am with my mom who is an absolute fish lover; I am neutral, preferring meat like chicken, beef, pork over fish even though I would still eat fish when it's there.

Freshness is key when it comes to steamed fish and mom was fully satisfied with the freshness. For me, the initial taste of the soup was one that's not as pronounced but I realized shortly you have to stir to get a better flavour. Nevertheless, it's still more a steamed fish for me and I bet my mom can do it comfortably at home, with the chilli lime dressing, without paying a premium for it. 

=====

Hits and misses; to be fair, I didn't open for their signature dishes except for the thai omelette which I like. Maybe would consider trying the rest of their signature dishes in the future even though I seriously don't feel like paying 15% service charge when the service didn't differ from restaurants / eateries charging the customary 10%. 

Address
18 Yishun Ave 9, 
Junction Nine, #01-03, 
Singapore 768897

Facebook Page

Pricing
Mango Salad - S$7.00
Thai Grilled Pork Skewers - S$7.00
Thai Omelette (Prawn) - S$8.00
Pineapple Fried Rice (Large) - S$10.00
Steamed Sea Bass (Chilli Lime) - S$28.00
(No GST, Service Charge of 15%)

No comments:

Post a Comment