Tuesday, February 23, 2021

PAZZION Café @ Jewel Changi Airport [Singapore]

When I mentioned to a lady friend that I am going to
PAZZION Café for lunch, her immediate response was "isn't that a shoe boutique?" She wasn't wrong as the store I arrived at did seem to sell only shoes and bags. 

However, right next door was the cafe extension said to "brings together shoe lovers from all walks of life, cultures and countries to a much-needed cosy spot to rest their feet while enjoying the brand’s specially-curated menu of delectable eats as well as a good cup of coffee". 

Well, my life isn't that complicated; I just wanted lunch. Anyway, the outdoor yet air-conditioned area would be strongly recommended as you would be so ultra close to the famous HSBC Rain Vortex of Jewel Changi Airport

Can't help taking a photo! 

Honestly, cafes should be disallowed from having glass counters with displays of delectable looking desserts! That's a terrible temptation for someone who is trying his best not to regain the weight lost during the pandemic.

I do have pretty good self control but the one thing I can't resist would be missing a good deal; i.e., beverage and sliced cake set at just S$8.00 when in some cafes; a slice of cake might already set you back by around S$6.00.

A bowl of soup at S$8.00 was expensive even though psychologically, it did appear to be a fantastic deal with an over 30% discount! As a marketing student (back in my poly days), I am embarrassed to confirm that I did order a bowl to try out.

Let's start with the beverage and sliced cake set; two sets were ordered and my beverage was the matcha latte which was bitter and not overly sweet. As I mentioned numerous times before, the best matcha latte I had was in Jeju Island and here in our little red dot, my favourite place to have matcha latte would be at Starbucks. 

Lemon Butter Cake and Banana Walnut Cake - former wasn't oily but the cake was dense and not the fluffy texture some locals prefer. It tasted delicious though with a nice lemon flavour, contrasting the sweet frosting and nutty pistachios. Latter wasn't too bad too; plenty of walnuts, strong hint of butter with crisp edges.

Mushroom Soup - served with a slice of sourdough toast, this was scalding hot; to the extent I almost burnt my tongue! Other than that, it was fragrant and an above average taste. One thing needed improving was that it could do with more bite and texture by having larger pieces of mushroom. 

Cold Truffle Pasta - a chef recommended dish, I was persuaded by the text on the menu; it has "truffle oil, dashi, nori, ebiko, pan-seared scallop and angel hair".

Frankly, this was something I would not order again in the future. Aside from the taste of truffle, nothing else was notable, despite the pompous description. 

Big Fabulous Breakfast - this kind of breakfast should be my cup of tea but our Alex was adamant of having this and I didn't see the point of ordering two of the same kind. Thankfully I didn't as the only one item I remember positively from the breakfast was juicy sausage! 

Bacon Eggs Waffle - I eventually settled with the above as I did have a similar item at Grub Cafe and it was memorable even though it was Har Cheong Fried Chicken instead of scrambled egg and crispy bacon! 

Maple syrup - a necessity for waffles; some said we could get the sweetness from ice cream but to me, maple syrup had that strange effect of elevating the taste to a higher level. 

Whatever the case, I was relatively disappointed with the food; bacon was average, texture of omelette was fine although tasted bland and while the waffle had that desirable crispy bite, texture was too hard for my liking. 

=====

From the above, I think you can deduce that as far as mains were concerned, I wasn't too satisfied. Does that mean I would never revisit? Not really; in fact, I really like the ambience of the place and would consider this as a great, chill out place at Jewel Changi Airport. Furthermore, good service in the cafe, in spite of no service charge imposed on our bill, especially from a staff by the name of Alan.

Address
78 Airport Blvd., #B1-243, 
Singapore 819666

Website

Pricing
Lemon Butter Cake Set - S$8.00
Banana Walnut Cake Set - S$8.00
Mushroom Soup (Top Up) - S$8.00
Cold Truffle Pasta - S$18.00
Big Fabulous Breakfast - S$24.00
Bacon Eggs Waffle - S$16.00
(Subject to GST, no Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment