Friday, April 05, 2024

Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market - Zones 1 and 2 @ Bangkok in Thailand

Sub Posts

I totally enjoyed my visit to Bang Nam Phueng Floating Market earlier last year and made it a point to check out other floating markets near or within Bangkok when I revisited Thailand's capital late last year.

Hence, this trip to Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market that was west of Bangkok and about 16 kilometers from Hotel Royal Chinatown, where we stayed at last October.

Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market is actually a community market that served the locals and to be honest, not touristy; latter of which was determined by the lack of tacky souvenirs and the fact that there were a number of local produce stalls.

Even the price tags were in Thai! 
p.s. always tempted to buy fruits when I am overseas

Have you heard of wood apples?! 
To me, they looked like rounder honey dews / rock melons! 

Butterfly pea flowers - fresh / dry! Known to be a natural food dye, I have never used them as they were more common for steamed kuehs. Anyway, aesthetic for colors is never really that much of a consideration when I bake.... 

One good thing about Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market, other than the lack of tourists, was that the passages were pretty wide and there were tables and seats, not tied to food stalls, for you to sit and slowly enjoy the food purchased from all over the place. 

Food time! How to resist all those delicious looking food that were just staring back at me?! Nevertheless, it's a fact that I only have one stomach and hence, I had to be selective! You can check out what we had from the sub post called "Snacks / Food We Had".

Not every edible stuff was appealing to me though; I remember seeing these fishes in a documentary on Cambodia which were said to be local delicacies yet not accepted by many tourists; similar to durians.

I didn't know what the above were until I stepped closer! Turned out they were grilled frogs! I am not as adventurous but I heard from a friend, who had them at Cambodia, that they were delicious! No thanks! 

Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market has a total and seven zones, and the photos you have seen so far were from Zone 2. Now, let's cross the road to Zone 1.

More food, including braised pork which I would love to try but knowing I would need rice to accompany the sauce and meat, made me hesitate! 

I am wondering if we were too late to visit the floating market as it really wasn't crowded on a weekend; a Saturday to be exact. Well, not an issue for me since there was ample seating space for us to sit and indulge in the grilled prawns we bought at the zone.

Non-food stalls. At my age, nothing quite caught my fancy. I am selective when it comes to display items and for clothes and accessories, comfort and simple would be the way to go. 

Even though I was attracted to these pots that had plants as "hair", I am aware of my "plant-killer" label and guess it's better to save money by leaving the plants for more capable individuals.

Glow in the dark tee shirts seemed so cool; thankfully, I have reached the point in life where I realized a person really doesn't need that many pieces of clothing! 

Some of you would wonder; what makes the market a floating market when the stalls were all on "land"? You do see some elements. For example, stall owners would use their boats and set up their stalls right next to where they dock. Honestly, that's safer, cooler and more hygienic for everyone. 

Another aspect for the floating market; the opportunity to explore the waterway via a boat trip! Those on packaged tour trips would usually have the boat trip included as part of the tickets. For us, we just purchased from the counters that could be found alongside the canal. 

Check out the following posts which would include the boat trip that cost us 100 baht per person, two stopovers; Wat Saphan Floating Market and Baan Suan Bonus! Absolutely worth it for less than S$4.00! 

Time to replenish my stomach with more snacks after the boat trip! We would love to explore the other zones but it started drizzling quite heavily. Furthermore, we were so relaxed after the boat ride that our primary aim was just to sit somewhere and chill.

Let's climb up this rickety staircase and cross a bridge over the canal. I found an air-conditioned cafe from Google Map and the review was quite decent at over 4.0. 

The Pine Farm & Cafe - definitely a great place to conclude our Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market expedition! Not only did it provide a cool respite, there were animals outside the cafe, including a colony of rabbits! 

=====


Address
30/1 หมู่ที่ 15 Bang Ramat Rd, Bang Ramat, 
Taling Chan, Bangkok 10170, Thailand

Map
As above.

Floor Plan for Floating Market
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment