Saturday, March 30, 2024

The Food / Snacks We Had @ Zones 1 and 2 of Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market in Bangkok [Thailand]

Eating is an almost never-ending activity when one visits the numerous floating markets in Thailand and my journey to Khlong Lat Mayom Floating Market is no different! But this time round, we were more keen in having snacks rather than main meals; just so we can eat more! 

Zone 2
With a total of seven zones, I only segregate what we had based on zones and the first one was the above stall that offered curry puffs with fillings like yam, floss yolk, pineapple, sweet pea and chicken at 10 baht (about Singapore 40 cents).

Flakiness wise, it did perform its job perfectly and it's not the kind that made you sick after a while. We got the chicken filling and strangely, I didn't bite into any meat! I did enjoy the potato filling though which was more sweet than spicy. 

Deep fried stuff always attracted my attention! 

This offered my favorite deep fried bananas and interestingly, it had more than just like sliced fried bananas that's common in Thailand. For the satisfaction sake, I went with the crispy coconut banana rolls which was more like a corn dog on a stick! 

One for 20 baht.
Three for 50 baht.

Amazingly delicious! The delectable coconut batter was infused with pandan and the insides were nice and gooey sweet! As this was fresh from the boiling oil, it was so shiok to savor it slowly, in spite of the hot weather.

Guess what caught my attention?

The sesame balls and what's freshly fried would get my immediate attention. These balls can be found in Singapore too and known as jin dui, translated as golden pile. 

Four balls for 20 baht.

With the crisp shell, I was surprised they turned out much better than expected; for one, it wasn't excreting oil! The mung bean filling was a tad dry but I was willing to overlook it simply given the light and thin batter! 

Zone 1
This box of sausages was purchased by my Thai friend; known as Isaan sausages, I have seen them around but never got around to buying them even though I love sausages, especially Taiwan sausage.

Seven sausages for 60 baht! 

What I didn't know that sour would be desirable in sausages but this was said to be signature of Isaan sausages. Well, not my cup of tea for sure since I prefer them to be savory like German sausages, or sweetened like the Taiwan ones. 

This caught Alex's attention more than mine as he loves seafood. I mean I love them too but I am greedy and am open to a lot more variety of food as compared to Alex. 

Live prawns are always desirable and they would only be grilled upon your order! In Bangkok Chinatown, we would have paid about 300 baht for five prawns, and right at this stall, it's only 225 baht. If you wish, you could also get their grilled fish which range from 240 baht to 380 baht.

Alex happy with his purchase.

So fresh with a firm, crunchy texture! The taste was enhanced after a dip in the green seafood sauce provided. Yummy yummy! Alex almost wanted to get another box but no, we shall spare our tummies for other food. p.s. plastic gloves were also provided.

Frankly, I think I would be mistaken for assuming this was otah! Of course, now that I am back from Danang, I would have found it familiar with this Vietnamese breakfast cake called banh uot. 

It's literally rice that was steamed with desiccated coconut meat and small, little prawns, and then grilled. There was a smoky aroma to the rice and the taste was weird yet strangely good! p.s. I forgot to indicate on my note, the pricing for this. 
 
======

Map
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment