Saturday, April 20, 2024

Tampoi Ah B Wan Tan Mee (淡杯阿B全蛋云吞面) @ Johor Jaya in Johor Bahru [Malaysia]

It had been a long time since I last visited the region of Johor Jaya but Tampoi Ah B Wan Tan Mee came so strongly recommended (and repeated numerous times); we had to come down, especially given my recent craving for wanton mee! 

For a slow Monday morning in a pretty quiet neighborhood, it's quite surprising to see an almost full-house turnout for this air-conditioned eatery. 

Without further ado, let's go straight for the food! Ordering via the QR code; the notice was so badly maintained that I initially assumed it was just some publicity notice that had expired a while ago! 

Deep Fried Wantans - crispy they sure were with nuggets of filling that could have been perfect if there was a dollop of creamy sweet mayonnaise, served separately! Maybe I should have just asked.

Signature Wantan Egg Noodle (Small) - In Singapore, small is not exactly small but in Malaysia, I came to the realization that small could really be just a handful. Not a bad thing for someone who loves to eat as I would have stomach for other stuff!

Said to be made using duck egg, the egg wanton mee came in three styles; white, black and red (which I presume would be the color for spicy). Above was black. Plating was messed up by Alex as he assumed I ordered the same as him, and started digging in!

I love egg noodles! They were thinner yet springier and had better texture compared to mee kia! And of course, this traditional wanton mee its strands of noodles coated with yummy lard oil! Only thing was that the white one was a tad bland and I prefer the black one which was more strongly flavored, aside from being a tad sweeter too.

Interestingly, I love the green chilli; crunchy and not as spicy! And of course, I can't deny that having loads of crispy pork lard sprinkled on top of the noodles appeal strongly to me; the more the merrier! 

===== 

A good meal but would I travel so far in for wanton mee? Hm... maybe it's easier to go with the kaya butter toast and chicken rice from Lynns Food & Beverage.

Address
67, Jalan Dedap 4, Taman Johor Jaya, 
81100 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Deep Fried Wantans - RM 8.00
Signature Wantan Egg Noodle (Small) - RM 8.50

No comments:

Post a Comment