Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Tea Room by Afters Pastry @ Johor Bahru in Malaysia

Have you ever travelled along a road and something caught your attention, and you decided to google search? That's what I did when I was on GRAB travelling to KSL for my massage.

I was curious about the white building across the road that had a smaller signage "tea room". Even though the place was so inaccessible for those who don't have a car (like me); I ran a check on Google Map to find that it commanded a high 4.8 review score from 80 reviewers! 

A few weeks later, I dragged along a friend to check it out! We technically can walk but to do so under a hot sun would have been torturing. Hence, GRAB is the best option for someone without the luxury of a car.

You know what the interior design of the cafe reminded me of? With concrete flooring and retro furniture, I felt very much that I was pulled back into my childhood, in the 80s! 

The chairs in the private room were so old school with its velvety cushion and backrest! p.s. colors were quite ugly although dirty green, gaudy orange and muddy pink were on point during that era. 

This cafe was opened in 2023 and pet-friendly! There's an outdoor area for pets (likely dogs) but it was empty on a quiet Monday afternoon. I am guessing you might bump into fur friends if you visit on a weekend. 

Retail space must be quite affordable in JB as the seating was spaced out at Tea Room by Afters Pastry, and you don't get the tightness often encountered in Singapore where rental per square feet was so exorbitantly priced. p.s. the small backdrop should come with some portable photo props! 

Smacked dead a large mosquito! 

A panorama view for your viewing pleasure. 
p.s. taken after stepping into the cafe.

Cake counter; pretty good selection that included tarts. Would you be a cake or tart person? If given a choice, I am definitely a cake person! 

Complimentary water for those who are health conscious. I would usually go for this option but the hot day enticed me to get something cold to cool my body down!

Fruit Tea - seeing this on the menu made me crave for the amazing fruit tea from Hoshino Cafe! At a fraction of the price I paid for in Hoshino, this was also much smaller with lesser fruits. Nevertheless, it was still thirst quenching! 

Strawberry Watermelon Cake - a signature for Tea Room, I am comparing this to the one from Sugar And Tease in Singapore; for one, Tea Room's version wasn't as luxurious with a thinner slice of watermelon but for the price I am paying for; I am definitely not complaining! 

Pure Yam Cake - this was one cake I would gladly buy for my mom for her birthday! Smooth, creamy texture that didn't lose out on maintaining the original, irresistible taste of yam yet still holding back on not being overly sweet. I am sure mom would love this! 

Girlfriend's Toast - I sometimes wonder how the name for desserts / mains was conjured. Was this dessert named because of its plating that appealed to the fairer sex or simply because of a popular vote? 

For a man, I looked at it from the taste perspective and this was just plain, unexciting French toast with peanut butter filling. Guess it was really just the presentation.

English Big Breakfast - one unforgettable big breakfast! At just RM29, I love everything except for the boring sausage! Brioche bread was buttered with a light crisp; tatter tots were little nuggets of goodness, mushrooms were delicious, and omelette was perfectly made, exhibiting a texture that was runny but cooked. 

Before and somewhat after since we continued to clean up the last piece of the brioche and omelette from the English Big Breakfast. There was also a The Mini Breakfast option if you have young kids! 

=====

I am sure I will be back! 

Because sometimes, I really just need cake.
To lighten up my mood. And I like the vibe of Tea Room!

Address
60, Tebrau Hwy, Kim Teng Park, 
80300 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above

Operating Hours
Mondays to Wednesdays - 11am to 7pm
Thursdays - Closed 
Fridays to Sundays - 11am to 9pm

Menu 
As above. 

Pricing
Fruit Tea - RM 11.00
Strawberry Watermelon Cake - RM 14.50
Pure Yam Cake - RM 14.50 
Girlfriend's Toast - RM 19.00
English Big Breakfast - RM 29.00
(Subject to Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment