Thursday, September 21, 2023

No.5 Emerald Hill Cocktail Bar Near Somerset MRT Station @ Singapore

I wasn't so much into alcohol about ten years ago until a 'bad' influence came into my life, and she brought me to indulge in red wine, beer, martinis etc. One of the most memorable would be the topic for today. 

Located on the side of Singapore's world famous shopping belt, Orchard Road, is a pretty sounding area known as Emerald Hill that's a former enclave to "many members of the wealthy Peranakan community".

If you are sick of the shopping centers after shopping centers, it's worth your while to just step into the 500-meter long Emerald Hill (that's the name of a road, not an actual hill) and soak in the setting of being surrounded by pre-war buildings.

My objective of this particular day was to check one of those buildings; which has been converted into a cocktail bar with an unexciting name; 
No.5 Emerald Hill, simply because that's the address.

Look at how the operator managed to maintain that old school feel that somewhat brought you back to the raw pre-war era with concrete flooring, exquisite finial, although the cool air-conditioning would remind you that we are in the modern era.

A lot of heritage items on display but I didn't quite notice them previously as it was dark and the whole place was packed! My visit this time was a lull Monday evening and the crowd only descended close to about 9.00pm.

Main bar counter, with red lanterns hanging from the ceiling of the stairwell, it's kind of cool but I bet it would be super eerie when customers have left the place! Any former staff member has any ghost stories to share? 

Scan the QR code for the menu; ordering would still need a human touch then. p.s. there's a mind boggling amount of cocktails to choose from! More than 50 and not counting the seasonal ones. 

Popcorn Glorious Martini - a popcorn lover can't resist this! Comprising of Jack Daniel's Honey and Eola Aloe, it was a sweet tasting cocktail with bursts of popcorn aroma coming from the popcorn itself. Pity the popcorns went soft pretty fast in the liquor. 

Cheers to our first drink for the day! 

Soju Martini - with five flavors to choose from, we opted for autumn hayan which was jinro grapefruit with absolut elux. We super love this! It was like ice blended fruit juice although not as sour as I expected from grapefruit. Soju can be so deceiving, as I actually find the drink thirst quenching! 

Chicken Wings - prawn paste chicken can be found in many tze char stalls in Singapore, but this would be one of the top three! With a strong prawn paste flavor, these came piping hot with an addictiveness that almost made me order another full serving! A must order! 

Selfie time! I actually know when I am a bit high on alcohol, my eyes will get swollen although I don't really get the Asian flush. And I will keep yawning. 

I actually grabbed a pint of draft beer at No 5 but it didn't stop me from having a half pint of Yebisu draft afterwards at 313 Somerset. Not exactly a lot of alcohol although it did knock me out after I got home. Lousy drinker, I am. 

=====

Address
5 Emerald Hill Rd, 
Singapore 229289

Map
As above. 

Menu

Pricing
Popcorn Glorious Martini - S$30 for two
Soju Martini - S$30 for two
Chicken Wings - S$15 for half serving
(Subject to GST and Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment