Monday, September 11, 2023

Nasi Lemak from Restoran E&Y Sahul beside Plaza Pelangi @ Johor Bahru [Malaysia]

After the epic nasi lemak ayam goreng from Village Park Restaurant at Petaling Jaya, I admit I had been craving for it but PJ is almost four-five hours ride away! 

Therefore, when I heard about this best nasi lemak in Johor Bahru, I knew it was just a matter of time I would purposely check it out! Located right beside Plaza Pelangi, Restoran E&Y Sahul was a bright eatery said to be open, and busy 24 hours! 

I timed my visit to be right before lunch so that I didn't have to wait too long for my food. Thankfully, my meal times are pretty irregular and I have no issue having meals at weird timings, so long it's before 8pm. 

Honestly, I was expecting nasi lemak setting similar to Village Park Restaurant but this restaurant's main focus appeared to be nasi padang (like Singapore's economical rice) plus options for roti canai (known as roti prata in Singapore).

Finally saw the merah ayam goreng (red fried chicken) although I was as curious about the other deep fried stuff. Focus, focus, focus! It shall be nasi lemak ayam goreng this time; for the rest, let's review another time. 

Teh O Limau Ais - starting the day with a mug of iced lime tea which was an absolute delight for the throat on a hot day! I did find it a bit sweet; shall go with sugarless next round. Guess it's age related as I have been drinking soya milk and even milk tea without sugar.

Nasi Lemak Ayam Goreng -  one for Alex and one for me. I didn't request for the chicken parts although I would do so next time as both of us prefer the thighs rather than the breast.

Rice was soaked in a rich concoction of coconut milk and while texture was mushy (something the operator might consider improving), every grain was amazingly flavorful. Sambal was perfect; sweet with a hint of bein, interestingly, perfumy. 

Fried chicken featured the juiciness and the turmeric flavor I totally can't resist from Muslim eateries! Even though this was good, it didn't manage to lord over the ayam goreng from Village Park Restaurant

Chicken breast was disappointing; dry.
Don't get this part if you enjoy juicy meat, like us. 

Overall still a pretty good plate of ayam goreng nasi lemak although I think I might go with ala carte in the future by adding more ingredients like mutton curry, which looked delish! According to the GRAB driver we spoke to (on the way to restaurant), he knew the restaurant due to its nasi padang! 

Roti Canai with Telur - in Singapore's context, this would be your roti prata with egg. Surprisingly, I have had better ones in Singapore. This was doughy, not as crispy and unsatisfyingly thin. To be fair, curry was thick and good. 

=====

Address
1, Jalan Maju, Taman Maju Jaya, 
80400 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above.

Pricing
Teh O Limau Ais - RM 2.20
Nasi Lemak Ayam Goreng - RM 9.50  
Roti Canai with Telur - RM 2.90 
(subject to tax)

No comments:

Post a Comment