Thursday, September 14, 2023

Snacks I Had within Bang Nam Phueng Floating Market @ Bangkok [Thailand]

What's the most common activity you would indulge in on a floating market? For gluttonous me, it would be salivating (not literally) over all the mouthwatering food from the stalls, and snacking! Here's what I had at Bang Nam Phueng Floating Market. 

Thai Milk Tea
- now, I am apprehensive when it comes to Thai milk tea as this beverage has been known for being overly sweet to a typical Singaporean who has been attuned to the low-sugar message encouraged by the government! 

At 30 baht, this came with grass jelly and other items which you can add from the containers placed in front of the stall. Thankfully, the sweetness wasn't excessive and it had that signature Thai tea flavor that was exceptionally tasty in its icy form.

Coconut Pancake - the irresistible coconut aroma stopped me in my tracks and I was scratching my brain as to what it was until I saw the sign. There wasn't any queue and to be frank, I didn't know if  I should attempt as this appeared to be heavily laden with carbohydrates! 

At 40 baht, the exterior felt like those tapioca pancakes we can get from Singapore's pasar malams but it's definitely less sinful as the insides were filled with coconut meat! Again, I don't feel like I would get diabetes from ingesting the pancakes and guess this would appeal to my elderly parents.

Isaan Sausages - I love hotdogs and seeing them in bite sized forms mean ease of sharing with my two friends. p.s. must share fats mah! 

40 baht for a mix of two kind of sausages; one had glass noodles as filling whereas the other had rice! Such revelations disappointed me as I was expecting 100% meat! While a bit sour-tasting, the taste was alright, with the rice filling sausage featuring a crispier bite.

Thai Fried Bananas - topped with sesame seeds, I had a great affection for this fried snacks since the flavor differed from what we had in Singapore; thin, sweet batter, enhanced by the fragrance of sesame seeds.

Pity the batter wasn't as crispy as expected and the banana used was pretty green. Overall alright and I have had better Thai style fried bananas in Singapore, although prices in Singapore were a few times higher, reaching S$4 for about 6 pieces at pasar malams. 

Watermelon Slushie - what's really appetizing on a hot day? A cup of watermelon juice and this stall concentrated on cold-pressed juice, in slushy form! 

Singaporeans love such healthy declarations; no water mix, no sugar added, no preservatives, 100% fruit, in addition to cold pressed. For me, I don't feel shortchanged.

Best of all; the friendly operator provided samples and we got a generous dollop of pineapple slushie as what they had wasn't sufficient for sale! And it was just blissful; natural pineapple juice blended with brain freezing ice. 

50 baht for this watermelon slushie! Even though this was more tempting for a hot weather, the pineapple slushy was unique and better tasting. This would be something I would return for. p.s. pineapple slushy cost 60 baht a cup.  

Moo Ping - just when I thought I had met my limit and couldn't stomach another morsel, the smell of freshly grilled meat attracted me from a distance away. Damn, my favorite moo ping! 

At just 10 baht, I knew I had to get a stick! Located opposite prinze melon cafe, this was by far the best moo ping around; tender, freshly grilled, not porky and a sweetness that complemented well with the savoriness. 

=====

Address
Within Bang Nam Phueng Floating Market,
Bang Kachao, Bangkok, Thailand

Map
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment