Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Newton Old Signboard 25 - Fried Hokkien Prawn Noodle @ Newton Food Centre [Singapore] #newtonhawkercentre

Newton Hawker Centre is renowned for being a tourist trap although I beg to differ as there were plenty of good food worth exploring; one of which would be my
favorite oyster omelette stall which was closed when I visited yesterday. 

I was supposed to limit my starch intake for dinner but when I saw the next table having two large plates of wet looking hokkien mee; I couldn't resist but order from the same stall, Newton Old Signboard 25.

Interestingly, there were three types of hokkien mee; the traditional type like the above, another version with oysters and the last one with lala. For a true blue Singaporean, let's just go with the traditional one as the other two seemed like a weird combination. 

So much broth; guaranteed to be a slurpy meal. At minimally, S$6, this wasn't cheap although you would have to expect this kind of pricing from Newton Hawker Centre. To be fair, it was a larger plate that you can share among two persons. 

Fried so thoroughly with a hint of burnt flavor, this hokkien mee came with prawns, squids and had a higher ratio of mee hoon over yellow noodles. Funny thing was; it tasted more like fried bee hoon from tze char stalls.

The red, hot chilli sambal was potently spicy and left a burning sensation on my tongue, even though it dissipated rather quickly. If you like, you can even get a tub of sambal at just S$4.00! p.s. I don't know how big is one tub.

=====

Address
500 Clemenceau Avenue North, 
Newton Circus, #01-25,
Newton Food Centre, 
Singapore 229495

Map 
As above.

Pricing
Fried Hokkien Prawn Noodle - S$6.00

No comments:

Post a Comment