Saturday, September 09, 2023

Tam Tam Viet Nam Bakery & Its Banh Mi @ Yishun Block 110 [Singapore]

Imagine missing Vietnamese snacks like mooncakes, cashew nuts, jackfruit chips from my Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) and Hanoi trips, and how I reacted when I chanced upon a Vietnamese bakery while jogging along Yishun Ring Road. 

I was super ecstatic upon seeing the goodies on the rack as it would be at least next year before I would visit Vietnam again, and there were so many stuff I could get from this bakery! 

For example, the pretty wide range of Vietnamese mooncake from the popular Tan Hue Vien brand. Unlike typical mooncakes, these were priced much lower, and for someone who only likes durians in its natural form; I admit I love their durian mooncakes! 

Of course, you don't get the same low pricing from HCMC and Hanoi but at S$9 (as per above product), it's not that pricey, especially when you don't have to purposely fly over to get your fix. 

You can also get nuts, sweets and chips. 
One thing that I hope but didn't see would be fried lotus seeds. 

If you ask me, the place was more a convenience store than a bakery! You can even purchase soft drinks from the chiller, and even fresh cut fruits like watermelon, papaya, dragonfruits, rockmelon etc.

Only evidence it was a bakery; the stacks of beautifully baked Vietnamese baguettes. Honestly, they were so visually appealing; I almost can feel the crunch as I imagine my teeth sinking into one of them! 

Baguettes were actually for the banh mi and accompanying them were the all to familiar ingredients! You know what's the one thing I can't do without for my banh mi? It's the pickled carrots and daikon! Without them, a banh mi isn't a banh mi! 

Let's get one to see if it is even comparable to the best banh mi in Singapore (some said, even better than what we had in Vietnam); the Banh Mi Saigon in Ang Mo Kio

Topped up S$1 for a set that included a free drink. 
For our case, it was a cup of Vietnamese coffee! 

Vietnamese Coffee with Milk - usual price was S$3.90 so I guess we got a great deal! A sip later and I was totally perked up! The coffee was incredibly strong although I did find it a bit too sweet for my liking.

Now my banh mi - there were only four types to choose from, ranging from pork, fish, egg and chicken. From the picture, the chicken appealed to me the most.

Decently sized, I must comment the crispness of the baguette as I recently had a few banh mi from other stalls in Singapore, and the texture was too soft for my liking. 

Even though my taste buds did pick up some nice flavors, they were mainly from the sauces used to douse the ingredients. The chicken appeared to be roasted, and pretty bland tasting. Another thing that saddened me, there weren't much pickled carrots and daikons! :(

=====

Address
110 Yishun Ring Rd, 
#01-389, Singapore 760110

Map
As above

Banh Mi Menu
As above.

Pricing
Banh Mi Chicken - S$4.90
Upgrade to Set - S$1.00

No comments:

Post a Comment