Sunday, January 16, 2022

Huay Kwang Thai Wanton Mee @ Ang Mo Kio Block 202 [Singapore]

A conversation today centered around the wanton noodle served in Singapore and Malaysia, until my sister said her favorite is actually Thai wanton mee, which is coincidentally the topic for today's post!

I first read about Huay Kwang Thai Wanton Mee on the Facebook newsfeed and mistakenly thought it's the Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee that's also located at Ang Mo Kio. Turned out it's a different one although distance wise; it's more convenient from the salon that I visit for my monthly hair treatment.

Pork trotter is also the eatery's specialties but I honestly didn't know how to enjoy this dish. Friends who know me well would be aware I am generally not crazy about braised products except for luroufan. 

Order at the counter, pay for the meal and then collect the pager for it to buzz before collecting your food. Time was only about 11.15 am and thankfully, no queue. 

Lemongrass Drink - the beverage to have if you have to walk under the hot sun to get to a non-air-conditioned dining establishment. Thai milk tea was said to be recommended but my experience with Thai milk tea so far can be summarized with just one word; sweet! Maybe two words; insanely sweet! Hence, you don't see me drinking it unless my companion orders and I steal a sip. 

Thai Style Char Siew Wanton Mee - collected after a 7-minute wait! 

Unlike Singapore / Malaysia style wanton mee, I don't require any ketchup or chilli sauce for Thai wanton mee although having them with green chilli is strongly recommended. Noodles here at Huay Kwang were smooth, slurpy and delicious even though there was a light alkaline (kee) taste that I could accept. 

Fried wanton was okay-tasting and char siew, while meaty, was just average. Sliced sausages were tender but not as great as Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee

Most impressive, aside from the noodles, were wanton in the soup! Filled generously with juicy meat, this should be the basic standard for all wanton mee! If not, why call them wanton in the first place?! 

Burp - honestly, both my sister and I prefer Soi 19 Thai Wanton Mee that was just 500 meters away However, it was a simple comparison between the two, and focused only on wanton mee. If time is limited, the slightly closer distance and lack of a queue at Huay Kwang Thai Wanton Mee are in fact, advantages.

=====

Address 
202 Ang Mo Kio Ave 3, 
#01-1682, Singapore 560202
(red arrow)

Map
As above.

Facebook Page
https://www.facebook.com/huaykwangthaiwantonmee/

Menu 
As above.

Pricing
Lemongrass Drink - S$2.50
Thai Style Char Siew Wanton Mee - S$6.00

No comments:

Post a Comment