Saturday, September 11, 2021

Segar Restaurant - Halal Tze Char @ Yishun (Beside Northpoint City Shopping Mall) [Yishun]

The West Co'z Cafe at West Coast Plaza is popular with my Muslim colleagues and I had been reminding myself that I should bring my mom to try its fish head curry, despite the long journey from home. But it has become easier for me now. 

Because the dining establishment had set up a branch right here in the heart of Yishun; albeit under another name called Segar Restaurant. I am no stranger to it as I remember there used to be a branch at Star Vista.  

I happily made a reservation to bring my parents there after I finally settled the vaccination status for my dad. The location is extremely convenient as it's just right beside Northpoint City, and behind Burger King.

Since there were five of us (maximum allowed under current restrictions to prevent the spread of COVID-19), we opted for set menu B, comprising of one fish, one seafood, one meat, one side dish, one vegetable, and rice and selected drinks for everyone. 

Curry Fish Head - rich, flavourful consistency with a mild spiciness that slowly intensified after a few seconds; have to enjoy it with plain, white rice! Maybe because I have been having a number of curry fish head from other eateries in the past year (thanks to all the dining restrictions), I do prefer the zesty version from Ocean Curry Fish Head in Toa Payoh. Next round, I shall check out the assam fish head curry. 

Segar Golden Chicken
- I have always been impressed with the golden chicken from Segar / West Co'z Cafe / Ah Poh Kitchen as the marination resulted in an addictive flavor! The things preventing me from loving it 100% were the irritatingly small pieces of bones.  

Egg Fu Yong - featuring the good, old flavour of this traditional yet seemingly simple tze char dish, I am wondering if anyone has an easy recipe so that I can whip it up myself at the comfort of my own kitchen.

Luohan Vegetables - I have never understood the allure of this vegetarian dish as there's this distinctive taste and aroma that I absolutely detest! My mom would usually use the canned version and throw it into plain porridge; needless to say, whenever that happened back when I was living with my parents, I would be dining out. 

Oats Prawn - there are a few reasons why this dish holds a special place in my heart. One, I don't take oats but couldn't resist this when it started appearing in Singapore a few decades ago, when I was a kid. secondly, it's amazing to have this with rice, and more so if the rice was drenched with curry, as in the case here! 

Most often than not, the prawns played a secondary role as most eateries couldn't manage to infuse the prawns with the oat flavor. It's the same case here at Segar Restaurant, even though the prawns were fresh and of decent sized. 

=====

A pretty satisfying meal that didn't require the family to travel too far; my only gripe is that the pricing was on the higher side although I could order ala-carte instead and eliminate seafood, which typically has a higher price point. 

Address
3 Northpoint Drive,
#01-02 Yishun Town Square, 
Singapore 768020

Map
As above.

Menu

As above.

Pricing
Set Menu B - S$90.80
(Subject to Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment