Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Wen Kang Ji Wanton Noodle (文康記) @ Golden Mile Hawker Centre [Singapore] #goldenmilehawkercentre

I enjoy going around hawker centers as it gives me a better understanding of the popular stalls and I would then decide if the dish(es) for sale would appeal to me. At times, the aroma seals the deal.

As it was already an hour after lunch, the hawker center was pretty quiet and the lack of a queue made it harder for me to zero in to a specific stall to satisfy my brunch. But something from Wen Kang Ji Wanton Noodle (文康記) drew my attention.

The beautiful strings of mouthwatering looking char siew! 

At minimally S$5.00 for the wanton mee, it might feel pricey but judging from the plate of goodies passed to me, with thick chunks of char siew; I guess they did justify the higher pricing.

First to go into my mouth would be the char siew! The thickness was satisfying, aided by the smokiness of the meat which wasn't overly charred; definitely one of the better ones in Singapore even though I would have a preferred a sweeter tinge. 

Noodle appeared to be relatively dry as the entire portion got pulled up when I attempted to use the chopsticks on the strands of noodle. I am unsure if it was because of the one or two minutes of "rest" as I was taking photographs. 

Let's mix up with the sauce to improve the dryness and take a bite! Slurpy and delicious, I suspected this had to do with the sauce which kind of reminded me of Kok Kee from the former Lavender Food Square! Of course, Wen Kang Ji gained an upper hand with its amazing char siew! 

Wantons were pretty meaty too.

Perfect combination; had to mention the large, fresh and crispy pork lard, for which I was blessed with a generous serving! At that moment when I ordered, the operator was frying a new batch and I was extremely tempted to ask if they could sell me maybe about 500 grams.

Soup was surprisingly milky in colour and taste wise, not bland like the many wanton noodle stalls in Singapore. Whatever the case, it's not so good to the extent of playing a huge role in my review.

S$5 but worth the money and the calories intake.

=====

Address
505 Beach Rd, Golden Mile Food Centre, 
#B1-29,  Singapore 199583

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
10.30 am to 6.30 pm / while stocks last
(Closed on Alternate Sundays / Mondays)

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Wanton Noodle - S$5.00

No comments:

Post a Comment