Tuesday, September 07, 2021

The Original Sungei Road Laksa in Gourmet Street Coffee Shop @ Jalan Berseh [Singapore]

Someone had warned me :"don't bother to try the sungei road laksa as the portion is really small nowadays and standard isn't as great as before". I took the advice seriously but I remember the long, snaking queue in my first, failed attempt to check out Ah Tee Ko Ko Mee in the same coffee shop. 

Hence, when I noticed such a short queue in my recent visit; I can't help joining the line! I figured that a small portion might in fact be good news for me, especially when I was already 70% full after having Ah Tee Ko Ko Mee.

Got my bowl of piping hot laksa in less than seven minutes! Do you know they still use charcoal to cook the laksa? I didn't notice until I took a closer look at one of the photographs! 

I am secretly happy that the serving size was indeed not big and in normal circumstances; this shall not be sufficient to fulfill my definition for a full meal. 

What I found more shocking was the sheer amount of bloody cockles in the broth; I counted seven and they were meaty! Pity I don't enjoy the delicacy and would have to waste the whole lot of them. 

Gravy was too thin for my liking even though flavor wise; it was still pretty rich with a nice aroma of coconut milk and laksa. I also observed there were some fatty bits in the gravy and couldn't pinpoint what exactly they were; they did elevate the taste. 

However, if you ask me to compare, I did feel that the famous Yishun Laksa is better with its thicker, addictive gravy. I wouldn't mind dropping by to eat it again though, if the queue wasn't too long. p.s. do note that no chopsticks would be given, just a spoon to eat up the contents.

=====

Address 
27 Jalan Berseh, 
Within Gourmet Street Coffee Shop,
Singapore 200027

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
9.30 am to 4.30 pm / till sold out
(Closed on Wednesdays)

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Sungei Road Laksa
 - S$3.00

Additional Information
No pork / lard.

No comments:

Post a Comment