Wednesday, September 15, 2021

The Roti John (Beef) & Pisang Goreng Cheese Chocolate from Nasi Lemak Kukus from Walaku Express @ Yishun Block 101 [Opposite the Famous Singapore Pools Branch in Chong Pang] #walaku #nasilemakkukus

I didn't have the mood for nasi lemak when I joined the queue for Nasi Lemak Kukus, which I blogged about more than a year ago! Back then, two items on the menu caught my attention and I finally had the craving kicking in! 

Things I was craving then; under "other menu".

Got both the roti john (I chose beef) and pisang goreng cheese chocolate after a wait that lasted more than 10 minutes after ordering. Good things need to wait as they were only freshly made after my order.

Roti John (Beef) - this is a sandwich dish said to originate from Singapore but it didn't command the popularity and outreach compared to roti prata or even murtabak. For me, my most memorable roti john is from the staff canteen at Changi Airport Terminal 1 and I will be extremely grateful if anyone can tell me where it moves to! 

As you can see, roti john is literally a baguette, sliced into half and stuffed with filling. It's like an Asian version of subway although preparation wise, it's way more cumbersome and I believe the calorie-count is also a lot higher.

There are different ways to making a roti john but the basics are eggs mixed with ingredients like onions and minced meat. At Nasi Lemak Kukus,  black pepper sauce, chilli sauce and mayonnaise were slathered in the middle of the baguette; at some places, the sauces (usually chilli / ketchup) were dispensed in separate saucers

I especially love it when they pan fried the outer layer of the baguette as this resulted in a nice crisp! However, it would be strongly recommended that you eat it on the spot, at least minutes after you collect the roti john as the crispness doesn't last. 

The roti john from Nasi Lemak Kukus was enjoyable but the black pepper sauce overwhelmed the palates after a while; my tongue was burning and it didn't help that I was sweating profusely! Honestly, it was disappointing as the initial feeling was good.

Pisang Goreng Cheese Chocolate
- the first time I had it, it was in Bandung at a restaurant known as Stone Cafe. It was delicious and although Roti John was already very filling; I can't resist not ordering this too, as dessert (my argument).

Version here was deep fried banana with shredded cheese, chocolate rice and sprinkled with what appeared to be sugar water. Basically, I can replicate it easily at the comfort of my own home, and I would likely torched the cheese. For the bananas, I would just buy from Mr Teh Tarik at Yishun bus interchange. High expectation; great disappointment.

=====

Address
Block 101, Yishun Avenue 5, 
Swee Sian Yuen Eating House, 
Singapore 760101

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
9.00 am till 9.30 pm

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Roti John (Beef) - S$5.00
Pisang Goreng Cheese Chocolate - S$4.00 

1 comment: