Sunday, September 12, 2021

Putu Piring Ang Mo Kio, with Kuih Lopis @ Mr Teh Tarik Eating House (Ang Mo Kio Central) [Singapore]

I can't help noticing the putu piring stall every time I patronized Mr Teh Tarik Eating House (Ang Mo Kio Central) for its fried banana and cempedak goreng. Since it's my monthly visit to the area, I decided to give it a try yesterday! 

Sadly, the operator had just started heating up the cooking device for putu piring and I didn't have the luxury of time to wait till 10.00 am, given that my hair treatment appointment would be around the same time.

I did, however, notice the display of Kuih Lopis. Frankly, I didn't know what they were and assumed they were similar to kuih kosui; albeit much larger, in a triangular shape. Nevertheless, I requested for two pieces! 

Watery, gula melaka sauce was poured onto the kuih lopis before serving. It's supposed to be a lot more sauce as the makcik asked, hesitantly, if what she had dispensed thus far was enough. My answer; nodding my head fervently.

The insides were filled with glutinous rice and the kuih tasted like kee zhang (alkaline dumpling); the kind we eat with kaya or even with plain sugar! Now, I am not a fan of rice so early in the morning, especially when my intention was to have a carbo meal for lunch a few hours later! 

But, I don't waste food and it's hard to resist the combination of both the sweet gula melaka and the aroma from the grated coconut. Now, I know what to have next time I have a craving for kee zhang! 

I returned two hours later to try the Putu Piring

One pack cost S$2.50 and there were five pieces. The mother of all putu piring hails from Haig Road and while there's a branch currently located at Northpoint City Mall (near where I live); its pricing was comparatively way higher than its original Haig Road outlet.

Hence, I was hoping this could be a good alternative.

Alternative it could definitely be; issue was that Haig Road Putu Piring was way, way ahead in terms of everything; texture of the cooked flour, the unforgettable sweetness from the gula melaka filling and the addictive, freshly grated coconut that came with a light, salty tinge! 

S$3.50 for four pieces versus S$2.50 for five pieces; price differential is huge although I would likely stick with Haig Road Putu Piring at its Northpoint branch since I don't take such snacks often and might as well go for the best in expensing my limited calories.

=====

Address
728 Ang Mo Kio Ave 6, #01-4200,  
Mr Teh Tarik Eating House,
Singapore 560728

Map
As above.

Pricing
Kuih Lopis - S$1.50 apiece
Putu Piring - S$2.50 for 5 pieces. 

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:06 PM

    This kopi shop has now changed to a Chinese operator. No more Haig Rd putu piring.

    ReplyDelete