Monday, September 20, 2021

Mom's Birthday 2021

Mom's birthday was about a week ago but we took the opportunity of celebrating her lunar birthday (usually later) to return home for a small family gathering, given the recent spike in COVID-19 cases and that social gatherings are limited to "5 distinct visitors per household per day."

A photograph to commemorate the occasion! Alex did help to take some pictures with me in the frame but he didn't realize that I was in boxers and the photographs looked weird with me wearing a shirt and pair of ghastly looking boxers! 

Mom and dad; ever since my sister moved out to her own place, it's just my parents staying in the house. The only saving grace is that I live pretty near and could occasionally pop by for free food. I bet it gets lonely sometimes and I did contemplate getting them a dog or cat for company; a suggestion that didn't sit well with my mother. 

Birthday girl with her longevity buns! She seemed happier with the buns as cakes are generally not her cup of tea; given the sheer amount of fattening cream and butter. Well, that's the reason why I asked Alex to buy the pandan layer cake from Bengawan Solo as it's more jelly like, than cream. 

Without the kids, who were unable to join given the visitor limit, the birthday song was limited to just the Chinese version! Mom took a long while to wish and knowing her; it's likely related to fortune, prosperity, good health to the family and maybe individual wish for each of her kids and grandkids. 

Hope her wishes will be granted since I am a likely beneficiary!

Some friends commented I am a filial son but I always think I am not doing enough. With my parents getting older, and me getting crankier with age; I can only hope I can be more understanding towards their needs, with greater empathy when conversing with them. They gave their best to us when we were young, and it's only right for us to accord them a fair equivalence at this stage of their life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment