Sunday, September 05, 2021

Omoté Japanese Restaurant - Chirashidon & Tokyu Gyudon @ Thomson Plaza (Next to Upper Thomson MRT Station) [Singapore]

I have fond memories of Thomson Plaza; from the Old Yaohan department store, the KFC outlet that served fried chicken on porcelain plates with waiters like a typical restaurant, and the fun fact that I used to work as a retail assistant at Pet Lovers Centre. 

It has been a while since I last paid it a visit and the reason of my patronage this time was simply because my mom was meeting my sister for a massage and didn't know how to get there. While some of the older outlets were still there, there were a few new faces too. 

Omoté isn't new as it first opened at Thomson Plaza in year 2015; albeit at a smaller location. I actually heard about this restaurant from a friend who advised me to check it out, knowing my immense love for Waa Cow's chirashidon

Frankly, my last meal was just two hours ago at Hup Hup Mee Siam and I wasn't thinking of filling my tummy again. However, the queue outside the dining establishment was cleared by the time my mom and sister bade farewell and I guess a bowl of chirashidon might be manageable. 

Accolades won by the restaurant; should you decide to check out the place, I would suggest that you make a reservation to avoid an extended wait. You may do so via https://tableagent.com/singapore/omote/.

Interior of the restaurant; unlike typical Japanese restaurants which tend to focus on a zen theme, Omoté  was modern yet with infusion of both manga (mural wall) and art (the somewhat private sections). 

Going through the menu; I realized I was slowly swimming into a dilemma. I was aiming for sushi bowl but there were so many to choose from; over 20! Eventually, I just opted for the cheapest; the namesake, Omoté Chirashi.

Shall be back to try this gigantic, eyepopping chirashidon with my friends in the near future. As the name suggests, it is super instagrammable! 

Even though I was alone, my mind was thinking if I could stomach another rice bowl when I flipped over to the mains page on the menu.... I would love to try everything, despite being alone! In my youth days, I might be able to woof down two mains easily but age has severely tamed the voracious appetite. 

Whatever, I shall try my best! 

Ordered a glass of cold green tea - do note that it's not refillable
Don't you just love the way the bear mascot 'hugged' the chopsticks? 

Omoté Chirashi - at just S$12.80 for this seafood bowl, I wasn't expecting the portion to be huge as the price was even cheaper than Waa Cow, which resides within a university. 

What I didn't expect was the sheer generosity of the ingredients! There were ikura (fish eggs), pieces of scallops, octopus, squids, prawns and thick chunks of salmon, tuna etc! In our local lingo, super shiok! 

Even though I was prepared to forgo the rice, I simply can't resist enjoying the fresh seafood with the vinegarish Japanese rice that was drizzled with soy sauce! On one hand, I was feeling all guilty as I had definitely breached my carbohydrate limit for the day, yet on the other hand, my mind was screaming max satisfaction!  

Tokyu Gyudon
- I must be crazy to order another rice dish but the picture of this gyudon looked extremely tempting on the menu and I will regret if I were to wait till my next visit. 

And judging from the picture above; I think the portion would be fine.

Totally enjoying the thin, tender strips of beef with a savoury, smoky flavour that complemented the sweetness of the caramelized onions! It was so luxurious as I took on a large spoonful although I had to stop after a while as my stomach was bursting with all the rice! 

=====

A meal that I would love to relive again and by that time, I would ensure I bring along a few friends and drop by with an empty stomach. Feeling so guilty to waste all the delicious, Japanese rice!  

Address
301, Upper Thomson Road, 
Thomson Plaza, #03-24A,
Singapore 574408
(Upper Thomson MRT Station)

Map
As above.

Website

Operating Hours
As above. Closed on Tuesdays.

Pricing
Omoté Chirashi - S$12.80
Tokyu Gyudon - S$15.80
Iced Green Tea - S$2.80 
(Subject to GST and Service Charge) 

No comments:

Post a Comment