Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Tong Aik Wanton Noodle (东益云吞面) @ Kaki Bukit 511 Market & Food Centre [Singapore]

I heard that Bedok town has a lot of hawker centres and even though I had been to quite a few; I didn't realize there are more that I didn't even know exist! I chanced upon one of them recently; Kaki Bukit 511 Market & Food Centre. p.s. it's not even near Kaki Bukit MRT station! 

It's a pretty small food centre and after circling the stalls twice; I decided to go with something safe. Wanton noodle it shall be and Tong Aik Wanton Noodle gave an old-school vibe that pulled me towards it. 

Frankly, this was exactly how wanton mee looked like when I was a kid; simple with a few stalks of green vegetables, the bed of thin strands of yellow noodle (known as mee kia) and lean char siew that wouldn't generate that much interest given the preference for fattier, slightly charred cuts. 

Wantons were normal. I always wonder why the dish is called wanton noodle when the dumplings were, more often than not, not the star and focus, and it's rare to find wanton mee with great wantons! 

The char siew, despite its unappetizing look, had a flavour that's more like Cantonese waxed sausage (lap cheong), minus the oil. Not too bad actually. 

Coming to the all-important noodle now; at first bite, I didn't enjoy the texture which was a bit hard. The oily sauce that the strands of noodle were soaked in, however, was the real essence. Give the noodle a good toss in the palatable sauce before you slurp it down your throat. 

While not on the same level as Kok Kee; I must give it credit for the mere fact that it managed to enhance the palatability of the noodle by so much! From what I read on google reviews, the stall did seem quite popular, with loyal customers from as far back as 30 years ago. 

=====

Address 
511 Bedok North Street, 3, 
#01-09, Kaki Bukit 511 Market & Food Centre,
Singapore 460511

Map
As above.

Pricing
Wanton Noodle - S$3.00

No comments:

Post a Comment