Friday, February 17, 2023

Fried Silkworms for Snacks @ Bangkok [Thailand]

I am not resistant to having fried insects as snacks but there are hesitations; for example, have they been left out in the open for a long period of time, are they delicious, would I have other friends to share with me etc.

This stall at Siam Carnival Funfair (beside Wachirabenchathat Park near Chatuchak Weekend Market) reduced one of the hesitations; concentrating on just fried silkworms, I guess the operator should be good in what it serves.

Another hesitation removed when I saw the large pot of silkworms being fried right in front of me! The sizzling did wonders to my senses and made me crave for a serving! 

One cup at just 20 baht (about S$0.80). As I was with a group consisting of three Thais, I figured they would be quite open to sharing the fried worms with me; yet another hesitation cancelled.  

Strangely, the operator threw the entire cup into a plastic bag and then sprayed some unknown liquid. I don't think it's oil as the fried worms felt more moisturized than oily. 

Taste wise, nothing particularly memorable and didn't taste much different from maggots. The texture was lightly crisp on the outside and inside was just plain mushiness. I can still accept the flavor but the worst thing was that no one shared with me as my Thai friends don't take bugs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment