Tuesday, February 21, 2023

On Lok Yun (ออน ล็อก หยุ่น) near Sam Yot MRT Station @ Bangkok Chinatown in Thailand

There was this traditional coffee shop at Chinatown in Bangkok that popped out occasionally on my social media newsfeed and lo and behold, I actually jogged past the eatery and was wondering about two things then ; why the name "on lok yun" seemed so familiar and it appeared quite crowded in a pretty quiet area!

I intentionally jogged to On Lok Yun the next morning for breakfast and while there were still a lot of diners, I was lucky to be able to secure an empty table almost immediately. Alex didn't accompany me as he was still in dreamland. =_= 

Anyway, the staff members were friendly; it appeared to be a family business (started operations in 1933) and since I spoke in English, the younger generation was "assigned" to help me. I was sad to be alone as there seemed to be a lot of must-eats and my ageing stomach can't fill in as much as it could back in its teenage days.

The Recommendations.
Note to self; only one stomach. 

Strangely, I was given a small cup of hot tea after I ordered. Guess it's complimentary at On Lok Yun as every customer had one on their table. Damn, I shouldn't have ordered a beverage. 

Cold Iced Black Tea - interestingly, I enjoyed their iced black tea more than our teh o bing; the Thai version had a flora aroma. Only issue is that with Thai beverages, their sweetness is always a few notches higher than Singapore's.

Toast with Butter and Sugar - thick toast spread with butter and sprinkled with granules of sugar; it's hard not to like this simple yet homely breakfast eaten by many in Southeast Asia countries like Singapore and Malaysia.

I would say the one from Tee Yok Coffee is nicer and a key feature was that in Tee Yok, the toast was halved, resulting in a crispier texture on more sides. That's just my personal opinion; I bet some would prefer the thicker toast which would allow them to allow the bread better. 

One Egg with Two Toppings
- this was more like American breakfast where you can opt to have fried or scrambled eggs, topped with ham, bacon, sausages or Chinese sausages. My fried egg was buried underneath the ham and sausages.

The advice given to me, by the sweet staff member, was that I should eat it with a mix of chilli sauce, tomato sauce and what seemed to be soy sauce. Best of all, she served me a plate of the mix! Don't you think that's superbly kind of her?

I agree; it was a mess although the mix was pretty good and quite similar to how I always have my noodles with chilli and tomato sauce. I would prefer my Kimball Thai chilli sauce, to be honest. That's like the best thing to go with anything! Sausage was soft yet juicy whereas Ham tasted like your typical picnic ham from Cold Storage. 

Before and after; Alex should have been with me as I knew he would love such eggs with semi raw yolks and this kind of breakfast is what he could eat every day. The next time I come, I would try their French toast which appeared pretty popular among diners that morning. 

=====

Address
72 Charoen Krung Rd, Samphanthawong, 
Bangkok 10100, Thailand

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
6.00 am to 2.30pm

Menu 
As above. 

Pricing
Cold Iced Black Tea - 35 Baht
Toast with Butter and Sugar - 25 Baht
One Egg with Two Toppings - 55 Baht

No comments:

Post a Comment