Tuesday, February 07, 2023

Fives Hotel - Deluxe Double Room @ Johor Bahru [Malaysia]

Johor Bahru is like a second home for many Singaporeans and although the Malaysian city is not far from where I stay in Singapore; I would sometimes prefer to stay the night so that I don't have to rush and endure the sometimes long wait at the immigration counters going back home. 

On my last overnight stay in mid December 2022, we decided to go with Fives Hotel. Location was convenient; near the checkpoint, across Komtar JBCC and next to Amari Hotel.

Lobby for checking in; as it was a Friday that fell during the super peak December school holidays period, hotel rates were expectedly higher than weekday and while the amount was S$108.31 (before fees and taxes), I only forked out S$20.31 given that I had one reward night from Hotels.com

Assigned room: 723. With a total of 243 rooms and 19 being the highest floor, it was a tad disappointing to be given such a low floor; so low that it was the first floor for guest rooms at Fives Hotel.

Hotel corridor; I think I mentioned before that I dislike corridors that are dim with orangey lights. This was pretty bright for the lift lobby area although the illumination was darker given the darker wallpaper bordering the rooms.

Room
At 14 square meters, the Deluxe Double Room with a King-sized bed was small yet compact. I thought for the amount we paid, it was pricier than expected. Whatever the case, a good sleep was all I asked for.

Television, study table, open wardrobe all in front of us. 

In-room safe, electric kettle, complimentary bottled water, instant coffee, tea etc. I am scratching my head as I didn't take any photos of the minibar, which was supposed to be included. 

View from the window! There were a few more hotels further down, like DoubleTree by Hilton but that area can be quite quiet at night, especially with so many ongoing constructions.

Washroom with shower, body foam and shampoo dispensers and your basic bathroom amenities like toothbrush, toothpaste, shower cape etc.

Always be mindful of the evacuation route for your hotel room. To make full use of the limited space, you don't get that many exit staircases in hotels and it doesn't help that the number of rooms on each floor can confuse navigation.  

Messy room when we checked out!

Gym
I conveniently forgot about the gym until I was checking out and noticed this spiral staircase with directional signage pointing to a gym room and a meeting room! 

For guest rooms that are tiny, I am surprised that the gym was pretty spacious with quite a number of machines. Better than the one I had to make do with at Vien Dong Hotel in Ho Chi Minh City.

A meeting room on the same level. 

Hotel Breakfast
Available separately, we didn't opt for it but it didn't stop me from checking out the breakfast scene the next morning! It was so crowded. Anyway, Jalan Tan Hiok Nee Heritage Street isn't that far on foot and there are plenty of food there.

In case you are keen with high tea, it's an option at Fives Hotel.

Putting up this collaboration pull up banner between the hotel and trevo; Malaysia's Largest Car Sharing Marketplace. I always have intention to rent a car and drive around and it's good to keep this in mind for future considerations!

=====

Address
45, Jalan Wong Ah Fook, Bandar Johor Bahru, 
80000 Johor Bahru, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above.

Website

Pricing
Deluxe Double Room - S$108.31
(Subject to Fees and Taxes)

Interested to make a day trip to Johor Bahru
Click here for more info! 

No comments:

Post a Comment