Friday, February 24, 2023

Nam Dao Huu (南豆腐) - Beancurd, Soya Milk @ Bangkok Chinatown [Thailand]

When I am not hungry but still need something to fill up the tummy, I would usually buy beancurd from Mr Bean, but ever since the price increased from S$1.80 to S$2.10; I patronized a lot lesser. 

Nevertheless, I do have the occasional craving and it was aroused during my recent trip to Bangkok, when I walked past Nam Dao Huu at Bangkok Chinatown! 

Located just about 100 meters from Wat Mangkon MRT station, I would literally bypass it on a daily basis as our hotel, Hotel Royal Bangkok was along the way, about 150 meters away from the shop. 

On my seven-day trip, I visited no less than three times and this official review was based on my second visit, together with my sister and mom, who would be leaving for Singapore three days before us. 

Do note that while the chinese doughsticks were indicated on the menu, you had to purchase them separately from the auntie at the entrance, which had a heated appliance for the doughsticks.

Chinese Doughsticks - known commonly as youtiao in Singapore, the Thailand's version was shorter, albeit slightly thicker as well. This was crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside; the way I like although I would have preferred a thinner bite for a higher crisp / fluffy ratio. 

In Singapore, our dip for youtiao would likely be soya milk or coffee. In Thailand, it appeared to be condensed milk and kaya, which would be separately charged! Obviously, having the sinfully sweet condensed milk as a dip resulted in a darn delicious experience! Doubt this would gain popularity in Singapore given the government's push for less sugar in our diet.

Mix Balls with Ginger Juice
- I love tang yuan with filling and this mix version comprised of red bean ball, yam ball and black sesame seeds ball. In Singapore, the popular filling would likely be peanut.

Anyway, the ginger juice (we would usually call this soup) was unsweetened and it was so ginger spicy; latter of which would be extremely comforting during rainy weather. Every table had a container of brown sugar and I had to add some sweetness to the soup for palatability. p.s. the brown sticks were like deep fried youtiao; not to my liking.

Black sesame ball was soft and oozing with yummy black sesame seed filling! Pity I didn't manage to take the yam and red bean one although my mom and sister remember more the spiciness of the ginger soup than the balls.

Beancurd - instead of transparent sugar syrup, brown sugar syrup was the norm at Nam Dao Huu. With a texture that was rougher than Mr Bean, it had that strange burnt aftertaste. We had beancurd at another popular dessert restaurant in Bangkok and it seemed to be accepted flavor. Still nice with the brown sugar syrup though, and the cost was just 20 baht (S$0.80)

Cold Soy Milk - picture taken from another day. Similar to the beancurd, it had that burnt aftertaste. I bet Singaporeans wouldn't enjoy this but as I wrote earlier, it was to curb the craving I had and while weird tasting; it's not unacceptable for my palate. 

===== 

Address
33 Plaeng Nam Rd, Samphanthawong, 
Bangkok 10100, Thailand

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Chinese Doughsticks - 20 Baht
Condensed Milk Dip - 20 Baht
Mix Balls with Ginger Juice - 55 Baht
Beancurd - 20 Baht
Cold Soy Milk - 35 Baht

No comments:

Post a Comment