Thursday, February 09, 2023

Xinghua Delights - Opposite Sembawang Shopping Centre @ 7 Jalan Legundi in Singapore

Even though I was familiarized with the area surrounding Sembawang Shopping Centre, having worked there when I was 14 years old and it was near Yishun, this would be the first time I am checking out this stretch of eatery opposite the mall. 

Our choice of food that day; the henghua cuisine from Xinghua Delights! I was actually craving for the food in putien restaurant but during the lunar new year period; the michelin-starred eatery only served sets, preventing me from ordering the items that I prefer. 

Chef recommendations - I am not so adventurous and would only go for dishes I have either tried before. Thankfully, two of the dishes I was thinking of ordering were in the list.

Outdoor dining as weather was so cooling then! Right across would be the most famous restaurant in the area; You Huak Restaurant, otherwise also known as white bee hoon restaurant! Anyway, here comes our food!

Xinghua Bee Hoon - almost oil free with an aura of lightness; this iconic heng hwa dish is indisputably my favorite kind of bee hoon! As it could be a bit bland, do note that it's essential to eat this with the accompanying chilli! Delicious, especially when every mouthful was peppered with the crunch and nuttiness from the peanuts! 

Stir Fried Ti Wan Chye - not exactly a veggie lover when I am dining outside, this turned out to be surprisingly good with a fresh crispness that I enjoyed. And while saucy, it didn't overwhelm the palates. Maybe I should look out for ti wan chye whenever I am eating out; now that I am older, I should consider adding more vegetables to my diet.  

Sweet and Sour Pork with Lychee - as this was indicated as chef recommended, I decided to go with a large order. Wrong move; even though marination was not bad, I took issue with two things; the meat was porky and the texture wasn't crispy enough! To be honest, I had such a hard time eating this! 

Putian Wanton Soup - this visually unappealing soup is known as signature for the henghua cuisine and although I have had it at putien restaurant before; it didn't impress. However, the cool, windy weather we were blessed resulted in craving for something soupy!

Tasted like seaweed soup, this was comforting for the soul on the cool day. Frankly not impressionable and I had neutral feeling for the wantons too. 

Stir Fried Yam - despite the lack of plating, the nuggets of turned out way better than they looked. Insides were soft with the earthly yam taste and outside was encrusted with a thin layer of sugar that really made a huge contrast in terms of flavor and texture! Yummy!

Shredded Pork with Bun - I had the fortune of trying this at Putien around a month ago and it was so delicious; I decided to try out this version by Xinghua Delights. 

Condom A pack of gloves was provided so that you don't dirty your hands. Be careful though, the buns were super hot; I almost dropped it when I first picked one up.

Sadly, this was a huge disappointment; bun was good as it wasn't too thick, albeit a tad too oily. The meat was the issue; it appeared to be just shredded pork stir fried with salt and oil. I am going back to Putien for the amazing ones I had.

=====

Well, I wouldn't say it's a perfect meal although I would still go back for the xinghua bee hoon and the stir fried yams! 

Address
7 Jalan Legundi, 
Opposite Sembawang Shoppping Centre
Singapore 759272

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
11.00 am till 10.00 pm

Pricing
Xinghua Bee Hoon (M) - S$11.00
Stir Fried Ti Wan Chye (L) - S$13.00
Sweet and Sour Pork with Lychee (L) - S$21.00
Putian Wanton Soup (M) - S$15.00
Stir Fried Yam (S) - S$12.00
Shredded Pork with Bun - S$13.50 for 3
(Subject to GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment