Saturday, January 07, 2023

Fantastic Dim Sum (大三元点心) in Bgain @ Lavender Food Court at ARC380 [Singapore]

Between dim sum and porridge, I have a bigger affect for the former. Hence, it would be hard not to order anything from the next door Fantastic Dim Sum (yes, that's the name) when we had
Happy Congee

The ubiquitous dim sum order list. It may be daunting for those who require a photo to go with each item and it's best to check out the physical display board at the counter, which I shall also share at this post.

With 34 different items, I admit I am unable to try every single thing and could only order those I think my family and I would like. Carbohydrate heavy items like steamed buns would be avoided, except for the irresistible black gold custard lava buns! 

Fantastic Siew Mai - signature dish that you can't find anywhere else, with six types of siew mai (chicken, otah , truffle, abalone, preserved veg and curry). The curry and otah were interestingly good although in general, the texture could have been more moist. p.s. didn't manage to try truffle and preserved veg.

Chicken Siew Mai - I ordered this separately as Jovyn preferred to have one basket of the 'normal' siew mai. Frankly, I think pork siew mai tastes better and likewise with the six-flavor siew mai, the insides were on the dry side. 

Crystal Shrimp Dumpling - better known as har gow, I used to love this so much, given my love for prawns, until lava buns ranked up. 

However, it's not that easy to find good har gow nowadays. Even for this stall, it felt as if I am eating steamed prawns, with no added differentiation. 
 
Lo Mai Kai - I was commenting to my mom after taking a bite that this tasted more like Chinese dumplings! To be fair, that's not a negative comment as it was legit nice, as a Chinese dumpling. For Lo Mai Kai, the taste is usually sweeter. 

Black Gold Custard Lava Buns
- should this dim sum item be offered decades ago, I can guarantee you that sales would be very bad as Chinese, in general, abhors black as it infers funeral and bad luck.

Nevertheless, I totally love these! Size was just right and the custard was in liquid form, with the salty sweetness that's a perfect combination to activate those taste buds of ours.  

Crispy Banana Roll - oops, forgot to take a close up photo of this. Filled with rich tasting banana and red bean paste, this would have been better if the batter was thick thick.

=====

Would love to be back soon! Maybe with one basket of otah and another basket of curry siew mai. And maybe more deep fried items. Plus, of course, the yummy lava buns! 

Address
380 Jln Besar, #01-16/22,
Bgain @ Lavender Food Court,
ARC 380, Singapore 209000

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

Pricing
Fantastic Siew Mai - S$10.80
Chicken Siew Mai - S$3.30
Crystal Shrimp Dumpling - S$4.50
Lo Mai Kai - S$3.00
Black Gold Custard Lava Buns - S$5.60
Crispy Banana Roll - S$2.80

No comments:

Post a Comment