Thursday, January 19, 2023

Chinatown Festive Street Bazaar 2023 for the Year of Rabbit @ Singapore

It's impossible not to talk about the street bazaar after I blogged about the street decorations at Chinatown for the upcoming year of the rabbit; I just needed some time to edit the photos, hence the delay. 

First thing I always do; check out the queue at Lim Chee Guan Bak Kwa! Given the pandemic, the brand had since embarked on pre-order sales via the web although some people still enjoy queuing!

For your reference; I didn't know there were BBQ Prawn and Fish versions. However, the prices were strangely lower than pork! Nothing beat the BBQ Bacon though at most S$60 for 500 grams.

Customary shot of the busy Pagoda Street - reason for its bustling liveliness; its entrance / exit for the Chinatown MRT stations, and also its proximity to the heritage shophouses that made up the heart of Chinatown.

Let's explore!

Not exactly good to have a stall selling the king of fruits right at the entrance of the street; I doubt the impression would positive for those who detest the strong-smelling durians. It's not just applicable to foreigners though as I know of Singaporeans who can't the stench! 

Having the lunar new year decorations all over the place did make us soak in the festive atmosphere! I am always tempted to buy yet my lack of design, color coordination and risk of damage to my walls always make me think twice.

This particular stall had always maintained a no photo-taking sign but no one really give it a hoot. There were always so many people attempting to take photographs and with the cameras on our phones getting more powerful over the years; it's just too difficult to stop people. Just embrace it, and you may earn more sales.

Checking out the rabbit themed ang pow packets! Honestly, I prefer something more general and homogenous so that I can reuse them in following years. Although I am unmarried, and according to Chinese customs, I am not require to give red packets, I do give them to my parents and also niece and nephew. 

Terengganu Street - it appeared that there were quite a number of food and beverage outlets now; like a Thai eatery. a Japanese restaurant etc. You can do people-watching, if that's your cup of tea.

Chinese don't believe that garlic can deter vampires; so why were garlic being bundled up like that? As a decoration because the Chinese word for garlic sounds like count. And to the Chinese, it's important to be able to count never-ending money to signify wealth and prosperity.

Festive plants in full force too! They often have auspicious-sounding names to attract customers, like the lucky bamboo! I am keen to buy a few to doll up my house but I am worried I would end up killing them given my black thumb.


The Four Season Lime - this is a pretty large potted plant and popular for many Chinese families during the lunar new year as the lime looks like gold when ripen and signify the ability to draw in wealth and good luck for the family.

Prosperity Sweets! I don't dare buy after what happened quite a number of years ago during the eve of lunar new year. The sweets (including the jellies) were on sale at just S$10 for a huge plastic bag; problem was, I prefer traditional sweets like those from Hacks. Eventually, I threw away a lot. 

Another durian stall! 
To me, I am happy with Xiao Hei in Yishun

These bags were so adorable and would look fantastic for either red packets, mandarin oranges and / or even my bottled bakes! Maybe I should go Chinatown in the next few days to grab a few.

King of Peanuts and Melon Seeds! Despite the name, they offer other kinds of nuts like macadamia, walnut, sunflower seeds and almonds. I need to get some nuts for my mom but I am on the lookout for my regular stall. Hope they still manage to secure a stall at Chinatown this year. 

Random photos! 

These little decorative items were mainly used to be hung on pussy willows, to give them some shine and color. Quite similar to how the Western world put up baubles on Christmas trees.

Dried persimmons; this stall had been stationed at the corner of Terengganu Street and Smith Street during the festive bazaars for as long as I remember, except last year when the festive bazaar was cancelled. Pricing had increased; it used to sell for S$10 for a kilogram.

Waxed products favored by the Cantonese. My mom would only buy the waxed sausages as she loves to slice and add them to the fried rice for better taste. I would always suggest using Taiwanese sausages given their delicious tenderness. 

Folded love letters with pork floss! Actually quite cheap at just S$20 for two bottles. Damn, I should have been more observant and ask for samples! 

Last look of Smith Street before making a turn and going to check out Temple Street, which had finally been allowed to be converted into a pedestrian only street at night with temporary street stalls. For the past two years, the authorities didn't allow the conversion due to the pandemic and I missed having it around.

Two photographs of the same place about ten days ago. Taken about 20 minutes apart; I bet the crowd would be a lot more intense now that we are just mere days from welcoming the year of the rabbit! 

Huh, an IT shop? What relevance to the lunar new year? Have a new handphone cover to signify new beginnings or finally replacing your cracked screen protector to show your relatives how well you take care of your phone? 

So much fruits! In Singapore, I am thankful that we import a large variety of fruits from all over the world. Even for bananas, there a ton of species to choose from. p.s. I still have difficulties differentiating them.

Face masks are now part of fashion and it's auspicious to wear a red one that has words of prosperity and wealth. For me, I am happy not to wear them and couldn't wait for the day that masks are no longer required on public transportation.

More masks and bags for your oranges and red packets! Sadly, more for the ladies. They should design something for men as I often have to keep my red packets with my sister. Yes, I do accept red packets since I am unmarried, and am not shy to take them.

Yet more fruits; coincidentally, my friend just gifted me these red beauty mandarin oranges (said to be a cross-breed) and they were so juicy with thin skin and almost no piths!

This lion so adorable; like a kid dragging his/her rabbit toy.

Festive clothing! This would attract my mom given how economically priced each piece was! Usually, their quality is quite bad but hey, it's a valid excuse to refresh your wardrobe. 

Auspicious pinwheels said to come from the famous Wong Tai Sin Temple in Hong Kong. Sadly, I didn't manage to pay the temple a visit the last time I was in Hong Kong. Click here to check out my itinerary. 

Would you buy? A gift box of jellies for S$21.80? Well, I would prefer to buy a box of 24 bottles of more nutritional bird's nest for S$55. Such deals can be found occasionally at NTUC FairPrice

With the grapes being packaged so nicely, I don't think I am able to afford them. Hence, I don't even dare to ask the price. I wish that sometimes vendors can just display the prices prominently.

Make-to-order wooden clogs and sandals! 
Again for the fairer sex; life is unfair.

Collagen jelly; also known as sea bird's nest! In the past, I used to buy a lot of these, until I finally got to making my very own Osmanthus Jelly (with Red Dates & Chinese Wolfberries) which was said to be healthier since I can easily control the sugar level.

Fruits and dried persimmons. The handwriting so nice although I think one of the Chinese character is wrong. Should it be 买的开心 or 买得开心? 

Aside from mandarin oranges, pomelos would be another common fruit that people would buy during the lunar new year. For me, I tend to associate them with lantern / mooncake festival, instead of lunar new year.

S$18 for this emperor pomelo from Thailand!
I usually buy the common type for about S$4-5...

Cuttlefish; I cannot resist this as I love to chew and chewing cuttlefish can be such an enjoyable process. There is just so much flavor that was so addictive!

The original sea bird's nest brand that I first tried a long time ago! The maximum I ever bought was six packs, which I distributed to a few friends as I think they would like them. 

Nuts in gunny bags! Don't be shy; trying is a must before you decide to buy them! Sometimes, you get interesting flavors like this licorice peanuts that cost S$10 for 500 grams.

Table runners and cushion covers! A bit too old school for my liking. I prefer something more fun and the only one that can make it would be the picture of a fortune cat that was holding to a gold nugget engraved with the words "bring fortune".

Nibbles brand nuts; I thought it used to be called another name.
Or is it all the while this name?

My favorite nuts and melon seeds stall; every year without fail, I would seek out this particular stall for the phoenix eye melon seeds and the king kong peanuts. Reason being that it's always slightly cheaper and the store operators are friendly.

No king kong peanuts so I went with only phoenix eye melon seeds. I have no idea what would be the name of the stall; my only recognition would be their unique hand painting boards with the name and price of the nuts.

Next to it would also have this stall that offered preserved fruits used mainly for praying. Depending on the preservation method, it can be salty (like the sour plums) or sweet (like the winter melons).

Samples that were laid out. These would attract the attention of kids with its cute packaging. For uncles like me who are trying to control diet; this would be a no-go. And if I don't try, there is no risk of buying.

Jellies and mochis; imports from Taiwan and a mainstay at festive bazaars for lunar new years, my family don't count them as necessities to offer to our guests, unlike sweets, bak kwa and traditional biscuits like pineapple tarts, love letters etc.

Golden pomelo; cheaper at S$12. Pity no sample even though I don't think I will pay so much for pomelo unless the taste was unexpectedly delicious.

Stall with towering stacks of biscuits! At three boxes for S$10.00, it would attract stingy people like me and honestly, I bought a few years ago and thought I had snatched a good deal. However, its portion was really little and the middle was convex, resulting in even less biscuits which you wouldn't know until you open up. Good thing is that you can't really over-indulge unless you buy a few boxes of the same kind.

Lucky bamboo and pussy willows. For the former, there's some knowledge on the number of stalks. You can read more here; I would go all in for a 21-stalk lucky bamboo; said to "represent a powerful blessing".

This mushroom stall had been here for as long as I remember even though it had scaled down over the ears. Do try the mushrooms; they were mouthwatering good and said to be a reason of this mushroom essence which I had always been keen to buy!

Red packets; nowadays I don't buy since the ones given by malls and banks can be extremely pretty! We just received one stack from DBS Treasury and the quality was thick with gorgeous designs!

King of peanuts and melon seeds again; usually quite a few stalls in the bazaar.

The iconic People's Park Complex. The owners were aiming for a "$1.8 billion collective sale" for the site and if that materializes; it would be a loss of an icon for Chinatown.

More plants; I should consider the second one for my house.

Mochis and jellies; do note that it's S$1.80 per 100 grams and one jelly might have already weighed quite a bit. Wait until the last day and you might secure a very good deal though. 

Chewable coffee candy that's more interesting than your kopiko as there are flavors like latte, mocha, hazelnut, cappuccino. Benefits include the elimination of food coma! Samples available.

Drinks; in Singapore, it's always nice to drench your throat with iced beverages! However, we are getting more health conscious; I will sometimes buy zero sugar Oolong tea or just mineral water.

Little trinkets to decorate your house for the lunar new year. The rabbit dolls appeared a lot more like red pandas; ears can definitely be longer.

There were so many fruit stalls!!

Towels made from bamboo charcoal fibers. I should buy the smaller pieces as table clothes as they are said to be durable and don't smell that quickly. 

Auspicious ornaments that you can hang to your bags or phones; aside from designs that vary accordingly your zodiac signs, the operator even offered lucky numbers for you to buy 4D lottery! 

I can never imagine myself wearing this.
Yes, I am not a traditionalist.

Stalls that were non-operational. As my visit was on a Monday almost ten days ago, this would be expected. A few years ago, I encountered the same situation and when I returned on the eve, all the stalls were taken! So whatever you see now doesn't mean it would be the same stalls days later.

Nicely designs crockeries and bedsheets. Latter I used to buy as they were just S$10 a pack. Quality was bad and nowadays, I only go for brands like Epitex

Totally empty stalls towards the back. 
Maybe the operators would move when night falls? 

Another picture of People's Park Complex.

Quiet Sago Street; amongst all the streets in Chinatown used for the festive bazaar, this would be the one with lesser crowd as it wasn't near to MRT station and in fact, would be the furthest from action. 

It would spring to life only during lunar new year's eve as there would be performances at the adjacent Kreta Ayer Square and people would be streaming to take photos of the impressive Buddha Tooth Relic Temple

Terengganu Street; photo taken from the stairs of Chinatown Complex, hence, giving it an elevated view. For a helicopter view, you may consider going up complex, where the residents stay. 

Would you prefer stalls that are temporary or these kind of permanent stalls that rotate their operations; meaning it can sell fruits today and maybe cotton candy a month later? 

Finally decided to get the King Kong peanuts from this stall instead, after sampling of course! At S$12 for 500 grams, it's expensive and I decided to secure just one kilogram worth.

Vendor threw in a free pack of red dates with walnuts!
Cavin loves free things from vendors. 

Ending the post with last few photographs and wishing all my readers a healthy, prosperous and most importantly, happy lunar new year! Hope the rabbit year being everyone good luck and great fortune. Huat ah! :) 
=====

Period for Chinatown Street Bazaar 
Until 21 January 2023

Website 

No comments:

Post a Comment