Sunday, January 01, 2023

Mango Sticky Rice from King Power Duty Free @ Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok [Thailand]

Throughout my one week stay in Bangkok, I didn't manage to have one iconic Thai dessert; Mango Sticky Rice! There wasn't any lack of it but Alex was surprised that the pricing had gone up quite a bit and insisted on finding a cheaper option.

Eventually, I didn't manage to satisfy my craving. Hence, when I was browsing through King Power Duty Free store at Suvarnabhumi Airport, the boxes of freshly made mango sticky rice beckoned to me and I decided to buy a box, to indulge when I am back to Singapore! 

Costing 180 baht (about S$7.00), it's still way more expensive than what I can get outside the airport but beggars can't be choosers and it's hard to shake off the craving. Whatever the case, King Power has a reputation to keep and 'Nam Dok Mai' mango is popular in Thailand. 

Thickened coconut milk was kept separately in a container as it has the tendency to spoil quickly. Therefore, don't take too long to eat the mango sticky rice. Even though expiry date was a day later, I doubt the coconut milk can survive that long in Southeast Asia's hot and humid climate.

Crispy mung beans; to me, this is a very important ingredient for mango sticky rice and while you can also get mango sticky rice in Singapore, the operators often don't provide crispy mung beans. Plus, the portion was usually too small for the price we paid for.

All construction completed for the deconstructed food. Although 180 baht wasn't cheap, it's still more affordable than Singapore where it can cost S$10.00 for just half a mango. For this packed version, it's a full mango! 

It was delicious although I think it might have been better should I have eaten it at Suvarnabhumi Airport. Back then, I can feel the warmth of the glutinous rice and the chillness of the mango; that difference in temperature would have made having the dessert much more shiok! 

No comments:

Post a Comment