Wednesday, January 04, 2023

Cold Cheng Tng from The Green Bean Shop @ Sin Ming Road [Singapore]

I went cycling with a friend last Thursday and you know what I was craving for after being on the road for more than 20 kilometers? My favorite local dessert; Cheng tng! 

Since we were near Sin Ming, I recalled a particular dessert stall that I wanted to try previously but it was closed then. So, we made our way to The Green Bean Shop, and it was opened! Turned out it doesn't open on Sundays. 

Aside from desserts, you can also find noodles like ban mian, laksa, nasi lemak and even local kuehs like the above. A bit hard to survive with just desserts for two spacious shop spaces that came with seating. 

With a name like Green Bean Shop, I should have ordered green bean soup (which is very simple to make at home; check out my recipe here) but no; I am absolutely fixated on cheng tng! Color looked off in the above picture.

This photo reflected the actual color better. Whatever the case, I don't like it when operators put large ice cubes instead of shaved ice! To be fair, the best cheng tng, at bedok corner hawker centre, uses ice cubes too, although in smaller pieces. 

The operator was quite generous with the ingredients which included longans, dried persimmons, winter melon, ginkgo nuts etc. Two problems; ginkgo nuts was a bit sour and the dried persimmons were too hard, and the broth was just okay tasting. It was on the bland side, and the longan aroma wasn't pronounced enough. 

Sometimes, we finish food not because we like it; more because we don't want to waste it. I would prefer to spend 20 cents and have the cheng tng from Bukit Panjang Dessert.

===== 

Address
Block 22, Sin Ming Road, 
#01-252 Singapore 570022

Map
As above.

Menu
As above. 

Pricing
Cold Cheng Tng - S$2.30

No comments:

Post a Comment