I am a rice lover who decides for the longest time ever that I should reduce rice intake as much as possible so that I wouldn't gain too much weight. Problem was there are some food you would die die need plain, white rice, like curry fish!
So, with the pre-informed decision that we would be having curry fish for dinner, our family arrived happily at Restaurant Bukit Ho Swee 1961, which was more a tze char stall housed in a Yishun's coffee shop.
Opened about a year ago, it drew crowds for its claypot curry fish, cooked traditionally over charcoals which didn't emit much smoke yet displaying ferocious tongues of scorching hot flames!
Time was before 6.00pm and we were lucky to secure a seat almost immediately! The thing with anchor tze char stalls in coffee shops; they often have a few large tables reserved solely for their customers and this made it easier for our group of eight.
Menus as above for your reference. My sister had patronized this stall on a few occasions and we shall leave the ordering in her good hands. Let's proceed immediately with my review.
Superior Shark's Fins - thick and gooey, not much of taste even with pepper and vinegar, and strangely, the consistency turned watery after a while. Nevertheless, I would be better off with fish maw soup.
Curry Fish Tail - star of the show, which was prepared only upon your order, and was literally boiling hot to our table, and leaving us wondering if we should let its "anger"simmer down before we start to eat it! p.s. honestly too many pieces of the deep fried beancurd skin!
Video for reference!
Aside from the beancurd skin and the fish, there were many other ingredients including ladyfingers, french beans, cabbage which would be essential as it soaked in the curry so well, while retaining a good level of crunchiness!
Eating the curry with plain white rice would be a must! The meat was thick, and the gravy was thick, albeit not coconut-milky and was flavourful with a touch of addictive sourness! Needless to say, I devoured my entire plate of white rice!
Dried Shrimp French Bean - been a while since I last had French beans and I almost forgot how good they taste! Crunchy with a slightly raw freshness that made them all the more enticing for my taste buds.
Cereal Sotong - strongly recommended to order this; satisfyingly large pieces of battered sotong that didn't weren't rubbery and the cereals were fried so well; I was literally scooping and mixing them to my rice and fish curry!
Garlic Fried Pork - very hot when served so eat with caution! Crispy, juicy and sinfully oily, with a layer of very obvious pork fat! Do order if you enjoy pork fats as I do.
Ginger Kampung Chicken - I like my chicken to be deep-fried or roast. This steamed kind with yellow chicken skin is not exactly my cup of tea. Removing the skin would help and it was not bad. Key thing is to have the meat together with the minced ginger, latter of which was pretty much a flavour enhancer, although a tad too salty on its own.
=====
Would I be back? Sure yeah for the curry fish, garlic fried pork and cereal sotong! And maybe the dried shrimp french bean if I am feeling guilty for having an all-meat meal.
Address
#01-283, Singapore 760664
Map
As above.
Superior Shark's Fins - S$8.80
Curry Fish Tail - S$35.00
Dried Shrimp French Bean - S$12.00
Cereal Sotong - S$16.00
Garlic Fried Pork - S$14.00
Ginger Kampung Chicken - S$18.00
Plain Rice - S$1.00
(NETT)
















No comments:
Post a Comment