Friday, January 13, 2023

Old Amoy Chendol @ Chinatown Complex Food Centre [Singapore] #chinatowncomplexhawkercentre

Cheng Tng is my favorite local dessert but I would be in a dilemma should you ask me what would be ranked second; it's a close fight between chendol, ice jelly and ice kacang!

With the ubiquity of standalone chendol stalls, it's no doubt that most Singaporeans would have chosen chendol. Hence, today, let's review Old Amoy Chendol, which has a few outlets across the island. If I am not wrong, this one at Chinatown Complex Food Centre is their first one. 

Unlike the common local dessert stalls, where they offer a much larger variety with a dizzying amount of ingredients in various containers, Old Amoy Chendol had just four containers, plus an ice shaver machine.

The four containers were for coconut milk, red beans, chendol (the green things that gave the dessert its name) and the gula melaka! To me, these four are the most important ingredients to make chendol (aside from ice) but I can actually make do without red beans. 

S$2.50 in a small bowl; hence, it appeared that the operator was super generous with the ingredients. Anyway, it's average pricing nowadays although you can get S$2.00 or somewhere around that pricing in some hawker stalls (usually the ones that sell other desserts).

What I liked most from this chendol was the use of mashed red beans. The chendol also had this alkaline taste that I enjoyed. Strangely, the aroma from the coconut milk wasn't as pronounced. Maybe due to the older clientele in Chinatown, the gula melaka wasn't as intensely sweet as I would like it to be. 

In all, it was a thirst quenching dessert on a hot day. However, I would have preferred to go for cheng tng or ice jelly, if both were also available either on the menu or at other stalls. p.s. I would have gone for Xue Hua Fei Cheng Tng if it was open that day. 

=====


Address
335 Smith St, #02-008, 
Chinatown Complex Food Centre
Singapore 050335

Map
As above.

Operating Hours
10.30 am to 6.00 pm

Pricing
Chendol - S$2.50 a bowl

No comments:

Post a Comment