Wednesday, April 28, 2021

SL II Muffin @ Hong Lim Food Centre [Chinatown, Singapore] #honglimhawkercentre

It's no secret that I super love the baby muffins from Uggli Muffins and have been recommending stall in Toa Payoh to friends! While taste might differ from person to person, one common feedback is that the baby muffins were a tad expensive! 

Given that I don't have muffins often (most of the times, I indulged for free), I am not aware of the common pricing for the normal-sized muffins; hence, imagine my surprise when I realized that the muffins sold at this hawker centre in Hong Lim Food Centre cost, generally, S$1.50 apiece! It's about doubled the size of  Uggli Muffins yet priced only about 20% more.

I am no stranger to the stall as I am quite a frequent patron to Hong Lim Food Centre and always noticed a queue, especially during lunchtime! For reasons unknown to me, I always thought it's called SLJ Muffin and its correct name is SL II Muffin / SL Two Muffin

Whatever the case, let's buy half a dozen although there are 14 flavours to choose from! My selection is limited to apple cinnamon, banana, walnut, chocolate chip, lemon and cranberries! 

First one to stuff into my mouth is definitely the banana muffin which I had to wait an additional five minutes for as the batch was still baking in the oven. A well-worth wait, if you ask me. 

Its exterior was crumbly, peppered with tiny pieces of banana and featured a thin, crisp layer that you could jolly well enhance in the oven / air fryer, as I did with the rest over the past few days. The inside was fluffy soft, buttery and just the right sweetness for me!  

Now that I have the muffins from SL II Muffin, I did think that Uggli Muffins were indeed pricey. But I would still occasionally visit Uggli Muffins for a simple reason; I love the muffins' crisp edges! It would be such a waste for me to just attack the tops of SL II Muffin and throw the bottoms away.... 

=====

Address
538 Upper Cross St, #02-32, 
Hong Lim Hawker Centre,
Singapore 050538

Map
As above.

Menu
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment