Saturday, April 10, 2021

Hei Lun Shi Tang (Black Wheels Eatery / 黑轮食堂) - Taiwanese Cuisine @ Yishun's Wisteria Mall [Singapore] #wisteriamall

Wisteria Mall, located in the infamous town of Yishun, has been opened for more than two years. Embarrassingly, as a proud Yishunian, I only stepped into the mall a few weeks ago, for the very first time even though I would often jog past on an almost daily basis. 

As expected, my purpose of visit was food related and the outlet I am reviewing today shall be Hei Lun Shi Tang (黑轮食堂); said to be a second branch of a popular, Taiwanese eatery at Queensway shopping centre, serving bento boxes. 

There were tables and chairs for dining in and as per norm nowadays, order from counter, pay and take the pager, and then wait for it to beep before collecting your food. 

Winter Melon Drink - it was a hot day and I decided to top up the bento for just S$1.50 for an extra drink. Thirst quenching it definitely was but the portion was a bit meh... my straw had an allowance of more than half after I plunged it into the cup! 

Taiwanese Curry Rice - one look and I knew this isn't the kind of curry I would generally like as it appeared to be more the Japanese curry style. To be fair, my mom gave it the thumbs-up! Issue was me for sure as I very much prefer our local Nyonya / Indian curry. 

Ala Carte Gongwan Soup - for a moment, I thought we were scammed as it didn't seem to contain much ingredients! Problem was that the soup was a bit cloudy; just stir and you would find the meatballs and slices of radish within.

Broth had a flavour we deemed to be a bit porky if you drink it on its own although the tenderized radish did a great job in soaking up the broth and everyone piece was delicious! Meat ball wasn't as QQ as expected; dense with a strong meat gusto. Sadly, not the kind I enjoy.

Signature Mixed Bento - I was in a dilemma over which to choose from the five meat bentos; on one hand, I would love to try their signature braised pork and on the other hand, the stewed pork belly, the pork cutlet, fried chicken and braised chicken were tempting too! Luckily, they have a mixed bento that included everything! 

Honestly, the pork cutlet, fried chicken and braised chicken were passable. Braised pork was more savoury than sweet and lacked the punch to wow me. Stewed pork belly was comparatively better in taste although picky me thought the texture could have been more tender. You know what I really love from the bento? The soft carrot! 

=====

Would I return? Maybe as Jiak by Jin Feng (金峰) at Northpoint has closed down and the nearest luroufan would be Hei Lun Shi Tang. And digging into a serving of stewed pork belly bento on a stressed day can be so therapeutic. 

Address
598 Yishun Ring Road,
#B1-K12/K13/K14,
Singapore 768698

Map
As above.

Menu 
As above.

Pricing
Winter Melon Drink - S$1.50 (top up)
Taiwanese Curry Rice - S$5.80
Ala Carte Gongwan Soup - S$4.50
Signature Mixed Bento - S$8.80

No comments:

Post a Comment