Sunday, April 04, 2021

Tamago-EN - For Egg Lovers @ Northpoint City Mall [Yishun, Singapore]

Noticing my love for eggs, a friend asked if I had patronized Tamago-EN. I know Tamago is Japanese for eggs but no, I had no idea what this friend was referring to, but I was aware that Tamago-EN opened a new branch at Yishun's Northpoint City shopping centre recently! 

Wanting to strike while the iron is still hot, I arranged to meet up with a few members of my family for lunch so that we could order more dishes for sharing. It's sometimes quite sad to order just one or two dishes when there are so many others I would love to try. 

I absolutely love the decor of the eatery; from the splashes of orange, yellow and white on the walls to the unique yet captivating egg-shaped structures! One look and you know this is a place you can satisfy your craving for eggs! 

Of course it's not just any ordinary egg! The eggs at Tamago-EN came fresh from Okinawa and went through an 8-step process before arriving in Singapore. Key things to note; the hens were fed a nutritional feed comprising of mugwort, seaweed and corn and the eggs had to go through a UV sterilization when the norm is usually just heat sterilization and, they were so fresh, you can actually eat them raw, apparently. 

To be frank, I am not keen in raw eggs as I am worried I might have the runs. Hence, let's just proceed with the conventional, cooked egg dishes instead. 

Sorry, not the eggs. I actually top up S$3.50 to my main so that I can get salad, iced lemon tea and dessert of the day. The above was, without doubt, the salad and the portion was so tiny! 

Dessert of the day; tofu cheesecake. Silken smooth texture; I very much prefer our usual, sinful, fattening cheesecake despite the apparent healthier tofu tag. 

Okonomiyaki Style Japanese Omelette with Octopus - looking just like a typical Japanese rolled omelette topped with mayonnaise, sauce, bonito flakes and seaweed, I was honestly not expecting much.

Two things caught my immediate attention when I took a bite; the omelette was "juicy" and it really felt like I was having okonomiyaki, without the heavy carbohydrate (wheat flour batter)! Extra oomph came from the pieces of plump octopus hidden within. 

5-Kind Japanese Omelette Skewer - this was for sharing so out of the five (tomato, seaweed, salmon, mentai mayo, zuwaigani), I only taste the seaweed and mentai mayo. More impressed with the eggs, than with the toppings and for that reason; I think the okonomiyaki I had earlier was better.

Sunny Side-Up - can't resist not ordering this all day breakfast with "2 eggs, toast, arabiki sausage and salad". Bread was toasted just right with a good amount of butter, eggs were alright and positive reviews from everyone for the juicy and tasty Arabiki sausages. Hm... tasted like Tatsumoto frozen pork sausages to me. Don't get me wrong; I do love Tatsumoto sausages.

Oyako Don - it's been like almost a decade since I last had oyako don and I sure was excited, especially when this was a recommended dish. Surprisingly, it tasted just okay and I thought it would be better off with a more flavorful sauce and maybe extra onions to enhance its palatability. 

Berry Souffle Pancake
- since there were quite a number of us to share the fats, why not have a dessert? When it comes to pancakes, my least favourite would be the souffle style but this was recommended, according to the menu and I wasn't expecting much after what happened to our oyako don.

Thankfully, the texture wasn't dense and we got pancakes that were bouncy, soft, incredibly light and not overly laden with sweetness, latter of which came mainly from the maple syrup. 

Fruit Tea - this reminded me so much of the signature fruit tea from the now-closed teafolia; I just had to get it. And it was a gush of nice, comfortable memory; delicious although size wise, it wasn't as large. Another fruit tea that I personally like would be the one from Hoshino! Hint: order together with their set. 

=====

As inferred from the above, it's a hit and miss and while I love the eggs in general, most items were not exceptional, save for the okonomiyaki and maybe the souffle pancake. However, I didn't order any from the ultimate egg rice selection and that should be sufficient reason for a revisit. 

Address
930 Yishun Avenue 2, 
#01-47, Northpoint City,
Singapore 059413

Website
https://tamago-en.com/

Order List 
As above.

Pricing
Okonomiyaki Style Japanese Omelette with Octopus - S$9.80
5-Kind Japanese Omelette Skewer - S$8.80
Sunny Side-Up - S$10.80
Oyako Don - S$12.80
Berry Souffle Pancake - S$11.80 
Fruit Tea - S$6.80
(Subject to GST and Service Charge)

No comments:

Post a Comment