Sunday, March 03, 2024

Lynns Food & Beverage (No Pork, No Lard) along Tan Hiok Nee Street @ Johor Bahru [Malaysia]

A slow walk along the heritage street of Tan Hiok Nee in Johor Bahru, we ignored the many coffee shops, Hua Mui, Roast & Coffee, Kopiloco, along the way where could secure a local breakfast.

We stopped in front of Lynns Food & Beverage; a pretty new local dining establishment that opened for business only about three months ago. To be frank, I would have given this a total miss but I noted its perfect review score of 5.0 on Google Map from about 44 reviewers. 

It was a quiet Monday morning and given that Lynns' location was almost at the end of Jalan Tan Hiok Nee; the simply-furnished eatery was devoid of any customers. Nonetheless, I am not prepared to waste my time walking all the way in. And I needed my coffee. 

Scan for the menu and order! Aside from local Malaysian breakfast fare like toast, nasi lemak, mee siam, there's also chicken rice, porridge and even homemade nyonya kueh. It's a pity, however, that nyonya kueh wasn't available then. 

Kopi - thick with less sweetness, this was one of the rare instances whereby the order was made just right; smooth down the throat, not bitter, not sour and at a balanced sweetness to perfectly kick start the day! 

Half Boiled Eggs - despite my love for half boiled eggs, I dislike having to crack the eggs myself. Problem solved at Lynns as they would serve you the eggs, cracked! Again, the perfect doneness with the flavor enhanced by dark soy sauce and pepper! 

Mee Siam - this cost just RM 3.60 (about a S$1) but my taste buds weren't impressed. While it was nice to have a strong, dried shrimp flavor for the sambal; it was more salty than sweet. Overall, not something I would reorder in the future.

Butter Kaya Toast - just look at the kaya oozing from between the toasts! By the way, it was more an optical illusion although I thought it was an ingenious way to get butter and kaya in every bite! 

Toast featured a nice crust with an aromatic bread taste! As mentioned in the previous paragraph, the amount of kaya and butter wasn't much although you are guaranteed to taste both. p.s. My sister and Alex preferred more butter.

Butter Sugar Toast - the same amount of toast but plated differently with the slice of bread slathered with butter, sprinkled with sugar, toasted and then cut into four equal pieces for ease of eating! 

So nostalgic! Maybe because there were more butter used, it was more additive and I almost wanted to order a second serving! Without the set, this toast would have cost RM 3.00; only about S$0.85. Affordable but I should be saving my precious tummy space for other food! 

Roast Chicken Rice - served in a paper boat, this is the first time I am seeing the takeaway paper being used in such a manner! 

Definitely fit for social media although at the back of the mind that is mindful about sustainability; a reusable plate could have been friendlier to the environment. 

Whatever the case, the chicken rice gave me a shock for being so sinfully delicious! It was oily yet I relished every single spoonful that went into my mouth! Chicken meat wasn't juicy enough and I attributed it to the part that was given, which was wing section. According to the service staff, steamed chicken is their signature.

Last thing, the soup was had a thick layer of oil but unlike the chicken rice, this was cloying and I can mentally feel the thickening of those arteries leading to my heart.  
 
=====

This is now my favorite coffee shop in the areas of Jalan Tan Hiok Nee and CIQ for coffee, toast and even chicken rice (more the rice)! Needless to say, a second visit would be coming very soon! 

Address
Bandar Johor Bahru, 80000 Johor Bahru, 
80000 Johor Bharu, Johor, Malaysia

Map
As above. 

Website

Menu


As above.

Pricing
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment