Wednesday, August 02, 2023

Lunch as Part of Our Day Trip to Ninh Bình @ Vietnam

On one hand, the good thing about a full day tour is that lunch is always provided. On the other hand, a disadvantage is when the food wasn't up to your expectations. 

For our trip to Ninh Binh, we were brought to Nhà Hàng Minh Quân Ninh Bình. Honestly, we were famished as we expended quite a long of energy earlier at Mua Caves.

Buffet style; highlight was goat meat, said to be a specialty in the region given the free ranging wild goats that benefited from a great exercise regime involving climbing up and down the many limestone mountains dotted all over the place. 

Funny thing was that no drink would be provided, unless you are paying for it.  You are advised to ask for the price before paying and I recalled they were about 20-40K dong. 

As there were too many people, my primary objective was to secure my food first! Almost like mixed vegetables rice but I am happy to note that they were more Vietnamese dishes, rather than Westernized cuisine. p.s. Alex would have preferred the latter.

Lunch was alright; not particularly amazing and I admit I didn't have a liking for the goat meat even though I can accept its usually gamey flavor. Issue was more its texture; too tough for my liking. No issue with the braised pork belly although the hair in the skin was quite a turnoff. 

Dishes for our lunch or the leftovers once everyone was busy digging into their food. There were more than ten to choose from, with additional options for fruits, raw vegetables and two separate vegetarian dishes (I think curry and spring rolls). Want to guess my favorites?

I love the bananas and surprise, surprise; the fried peanuts were delightful! A spoonful of bland fried rice with a few peanuts resulted in a moment of simple blissfulness. How could the peanuts taste so good?! 

Should you be a fast eater like me (some friends claimed I inhale, not eat, my food); please do check out the convenience stall along the same stretch that's just two doors away.

You can get some local specialties (again, no sampling) and even local products like the kim giao chopsticks, which was said to be able to detect poison, by turning red.

I was more curious with these glass containers of what appeared to be medicine wine that had some kind of meat within. I thought they were heart even though the shape and its attached piece was a bit strange.

Of course I had to take a picture and ask our tour guide.
Turned out it was penis wine from the wild goat! 

=====

Address
Tràng An, Hoa Lư District, 
Ninh Bình, Vietnam

Map
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment