Wednesday, August 09, 2023

Easy 3-Ingredient DIY Kikkoman Japanese Chawanmushi from Daiso Singapore!

I once blogged about this easy 3-ingredient Japanese chawanmushi from a Taiwanese brand that you can get from street markets in Singapore but I understand from my cousin that it's no longer available in our little red dot.

Hence, I had been satisfying my cravings at Japanese restaurants; albeit occasionally given the much higher pricing. Therefore, you can imagine my excitement when I stepped into a Daiso outlet one day and saw the large advertisement with illustrations of a 3-ingredient DIY chawanmushi from the brand Kikkoman! 

Three different flavors to choose from; original, scallop and shitake mushrooms. All of them appealed to me and given my love for eggs; I should have purchased more packs.

Let's start with the shitake flavor for the purpose of this post. Do note that this contains only the sauce to make chawanmushi and you would need to prepare two other ingredients yourself'; the egg and water.

Ingredients list and instructions would be at the back, latter of which was really simple. If you need to enhance your chawanmushi, you may prepare additional stuff like fish roes, crab sticks, shitake mushrooms, fish cakes etc. I actually used button mushrooms a few times.

Three packs of sauce in one bag; one pack is good enough for a standard ceramic chawanmushi vessel, which I would share the picture of later. You can purchase the vessels from Daiso too! 

I was hungry and decided to make two portions; hence the two eggs, and 300 ml of plain water. As I am lazy to wash two ceramic vessels, I am going to use a stainless steel bowl to hold the chawanmushi instead.

Beat the eggs, pour in the water, mix again, pour in the sauce from the chawanmushi pack, and then mix again. How difficult can that be?! 

Okay, it's usually required to sieve the mixture so that the bubbles can be removed. Again, this is an extra step frowned upon by any lazy person and it takes additional effort to wash the sieve. One easy way to is to use a piece of kitchen paper towel to soak up bubbles.

Time to steam the mixture for 10 minutes! Please don't judge the greenish water as I had boiled spinach earlier and thought to recycle the water for the environment. p.s. photo of my spinach for viewing pleasure. 

Steaming in progress. 

Damn, still too much air pockets on the finished product, which I presume was because I didn't bother adding a layer of cling wrap. But why should a lazy person do that?! Efficiency is key right?! 

A smoother version that I made on another day; for one single portion using the ceramic chawanmushi vessel purchased from Daiso when I first moved into my flat more than six years ago. 

It was delicious; flavor was on point, without being overly sweet / salty, and there's even a layer of flavorful broth similar to what you can find in Japanese restaurants. Only issue; I need more ingredients like crab stick, mushrooms to perfect the restaurant experience. 


Video showing the wobbliness of the chawanmushi! 

=====


Pricing
DIY Kikkoman Japanese Chawanmushi - S$2.00 a pack 
(Subject to GST)

No comments:

Post a Comment