Thursday, August 24, 2023

Saranrom Park near The Grand Palace @ Bangkok [Thailand]

During the COVID-19 pandemic, I started jogging a lot more to explore my neighborhood. Now that the borders are open, I make it a point to jog where it's safe to do so and in my trip to Bangkok back in February 2023, I encountered a few new places in / near Chinatown, with my base at Hotel Royal.

One of them would be Saranrom Park near The Grand Palace. At just slightly less than two kilometers from Hotel Royal, it was just about the right distance to meet my daily target of five kilometers then (to and fro, plus a round in the park).

Unlike Lumpini Park, Saranrom Park is of a much smaller scale (maybe about 20-25%) although there seemed to be better landscaping here. A search on google revealed that this park was initially a royal park for the adjacent Saranrom Palace. 

A few seemingly Victorian style pavilions dotted the park. I wasn't exactly very late to jog in the park but the exercise-going crowd was lesser than at Lumpini Park. Maybe because the surrounding areas are heritage zone and hence, didn't have that many towering residential /hotel blocks. 

Hmm.... A Chinese archway?

Interestingly, a three-floor pagoda said to be the Chao Mae Takhian Thong Shrine. While there isn't much information about its origin, the pagoda itself was rebuilt in 1910s, making it more than a hundred years! 

What's more peculiar was that the patron deity is a tree spirit known generally as Nang Ta-khian. I was wondering why there was a block of wood on the main altar! Click here to read more of nang ta-khian

So tempted to climb up to the second floor and you know what stopped me? The pair of stiletto heels. I am kidding of course; it's rude to go up without seeking permission from the caretaker. I am a polite person.

Ignorant me thought this was a mini Wat Arun. Turned out it was the Queen Sunanda Kumariratana Monument, where the ashes of the Queen (of King Chulalongkorn) was kept. 

The Westernized and opulent Phan Loha Fountain. 
Anyone knows the history of this fountain?

Saranrom Park is Bangkok's first botanic garden and traced its origins to year 1866. Therefore, it was said there were many old trees in its premises. Some required 'crutches', as in the case for the above.

Lumpini Park has it and Saranrom Park also has it; the open air gym cramped with ageing (and some rusty) gym equipment that raised blood red flags of safety! Such setup is an absolute no go in Singapore. 

Locals playing a game of sepak takraw! Played mainly in Southeast Asia, the name of the sport consisted of languages from Malay and Thai. Guesss which is which!

So nice to see the older generation getting active with a game of ping pong! I bet they play better than I do; a shame for me since I took it as a sport in my primary school.

Every park requires this; a playground for the kids! The thing is that they were of traditional design whereas the ones we have in Singapore have evolved into extremely fascinating ones that focus on curiosity, exploration and play! Click here for the best 34 outdoor playgrounds in Singapore

=====

Address
Intersection of New Road and Rajini Road,
Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, Thailand
(Near The Grand Palace)

Map
As above. 

Admission Fee
Free! 

No comments:

Post a Comment