Sunday, August 13, 2023

Complimentary Breakfast Buffet @ One World Hotel in Petaling Jaya [Malaysia]

Paying for hotel breakfast is something I rarely do unless I didn't have time to venture out to the neighborhood. Nowadays, for reasons unbeknownst to me, breakfast is included as part of my overseas hotel stay and given how shallow I am; I am never going to reject free breakfast. 

For my trip to Petaling Jaya at the Malaysian state of Selangor, our choice of accommodation was the five-star One World Hotel. Breakfast buffet was served every morning at their Cinnamon Cafe, from 6.00 am till 10.30 am. 

Grand passage, with plenty of space for guests staying in one of the 452 rooms in the hotel. I was caught by surprise on how much space there was since most establishments would have squeezed in more tables and chairs to accommodate their hungry guests.

Indoor seating was limited and for almost all our visits; we had to make do with the outdoor seating. Frankly, it was a nice, quiet environment with a green turf next to our table and a ceiling fan above us. Alex literally spent hours there playing his game while waiting for me to finish my exercise in the gym. 

There were a total of 13 food and beverage counters; comprising of your typical international buffet spread like salad, fruits, western, Asian, dim sum, Japanese, Indian, and even local ones like nasi lemak and chicken rice. 

First to greet up would be the soup and bread counter. Well, I didn't remember the soup; more the cakes, donuts, muffins, infused water and the coffee machine. 

Soft rolls and breads right behind. 

Assorted Danish pastries, croissants waffles, pancakes, French toasts with accompanying sauces and spread like peanut butter, kaya, chocolate etc. Damn, starch laden products that I crave yet had to control. 

Bread and butter pudding with vanilla sauce.

Pizzas, hash brown and potato wedges! 
Always nice to see thin crust pizzas! 

Egg counter with ready scrambled eggs.

Ready made pasta with options arrabiata sauce and grilled halved tomatoes. I am in Malaysia where food shall be the main focus. Hence, I have to restrict my food intake so that I can indulge more outside the hotel

My favourite counter that was loaded with nutritional and tasty fruits like red watermelon, yellow watermelon etc. The only thing it lacked? Bananas! 

A variety of salad options on the same counter as the fruits. No, I am not going to fill my tummy with salads; heck no when I am on vacation where food shall be my main source of de-stressor. 

Western counter with sliced beef, sliced chicken and cheese chicken sausages etc. I think they have stuff like baked beans too, which is something I don't eat. 

Dim sum; as the Cinnamon Cafe is halal certified, I am not going to waste food and calories. Having said that, I had tried a halal dim sum eatery (the dim sum place) at Singapore before and the food was good! 

My weakness; porridge and you can a special scallop porridge here! Main reason why I love porridge was that in terms of starch content, you get less rice for the same bowl and I really enjoy the things you can add like shallots, salted vegetables etc. Over here, I found pickled vegetables too! In addition, you can also go to other stations and top the porridge with chicken curry, sunny side up etc. 

Chicken rice or porridge? I chose porridge although I should have asked for a serving of roast chicken, without the rice! p.s. chicken didn't look appealing though. 

Local dishes like fried rice, fried noodle, vegetables with oyster sauce.

Noodle station but they didn't have the type I love the most; mee kia or mee poh. I did notice that hotels only had noodle soup whereas my favorite would be the dry kind with chilli paste and/or ketchup. Best if there are pork lards; which is impossible in a halal eatery.

For the noodles; see, I can take some stuff here for my porridge too! 

Nasi lemak counter with a tray full of sambal chilli! For protein, you can choose between spiced chicken or beef rendang and complete the dish with rice, peanuts, cucumber, hard boiled egg, and of course, a ladle full of sambal chilli. 


Cheese selection!
Isn't it too early for cheese? 

Accompanying the cheese would be the ham! I love cheese with nuts and chutney, and so far, ham and salami have yet to come into the picture.

Cereal section; to me, this would be for the kids! 

Japanese cuisine; with simple offerings like miso soup, basic sushi and silken tofu. I was actually hoping for some chawanmushi. Just in case you have missed it, I recently chanced upon a 3-ingredient chawanmushi from Daiso; check it out here

Indian cuisine with flatbread, different types of curries, chutney, vadai, samosa, curry puffs etc. For Singaporeans / Malaysians, I think our version of Indian food would be roti canai, nasi briyani, tandoori chicken. 

Coffee, tea and many types of freshly squeezed juices! I tried the orange and it was sourish, which I deduced to mean that no additional sugar was added. Definitely a great detox for the start of the day.

What I had in the three mornings at the breakfast buffet at One World Hotel. Most disappointed with the nasi lemak as it couldn't hold a candle to what I had at village park restaurant; sambal chilli especially was weak and bland. Yellow watermelons were delish! 

=====

Check out my review of the hotel here

Address
City Centre, First Avenue, 
Lebuh Bandar Utama, Bandar Utama, 
47800 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia

Map
As above.

Floor Plan for Cinnamon Cafe
As above.

No comments:

Post a Comment